KWarzala is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Format Conatenated fields in Select Statement

Hello,

I'm trying to format a combo box to show [ProductItemDescription] & " - " & [PriceAmount] so basically it will look like: Large Bowl - $4.75

Right now i have:
    "SELECT ProductItemDescription & FormatCurrency([PriceAmount],2) AS Product" &_
    "FROM tbl_MerchandiseProduct" &_
    "WHERE DepartmentName = 'Example'"

And looks like this: LargeBowl$4.75

I tried this:
    "SELECT ProductItemDescription & " - " & FormatCurrency([PriceAmount],2) AS Product
    etc...
    but that didn't work

Thanks for any help!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The second example works for me.

Why doesn't it work, what is the result?

Why do you need this concatenated in combobox? What do you want to do with it?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

It just says Run-time error '13': Type Mismatch

It's a lookup for items that don't have a barcode to scan, so they first select a dropdown for department, then for Category (which is where this select statemtent is Category(AfterUpdate) and sets me.cboProduct.RowSource) and since ProductItemDescription isn't always very descriptive i want the price to show up with it so they know they are selecting the correct product

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Code:
    "SELECT ProductItemDescription & FormatCurrency([PriceAmount],2) AS Product" &_
    "FROM tbl_MerchandiseProduct" &_
    if this is your code it may be bombing out because you are not putting spaces in between your rows, try:

Code:
    "SELECT ProductItemDescription & " - " & FormatCurrency([PriceAmount],2) AS Product " &_
    "FROM tbl_MerchandiseProduct " &_
    Notice the extra space at the end of each line

Also... rae you sure your priceamount is stored as a number, if it is try format([PriceAmount], "Currency") instead

June7 is online now VIP
    Okay, once they select the Product/Price what happens? How will you use this concatenated value? Is it the parameter for query filter?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I actually have it all typed on one row, i just typed the example like that to make it easier to read

I tried using Format([PriceAmount],"Currency") but as soon as i finish typing it says Compile error: Expected: end of statement so i switched to FormatCurrency()

Here's all the code exactly as i have it:
    Code:
    Private Sub cboDepartmentName_AfterUpdate()
    Me.cboItemCategory.RowSource = "SELECT DISTINCT ItemCategory FROM tbldbo_MerchandiseProductPrice WHERE ItemCategory <> 'N/A' AND DepartmentName = '" & Me.cboDepartmentName & "'" & "ORDER BY ItemCategory"
    End Sub
    Code:
    Private Sub cboItemCategory_AfterUpdate()
    Me.cboProduct.RowSource = "SELECT ProductItemDescription & FormatCurrency([PriceAmount],2) AS Product FROM tbldbo_MerchandiseProductPrice WHERE DepartmentName = '" & Me.cboDepartmentName & "' And ItemCategory = '" & Me.cboItemCategory & "'"
    End Sub
    So it's an unbound form with 3 unbound combo boxes, the first one is cboDepartmentName, after you select from that dropdown cboItemCategory is updated, once you select from cboItemCategory is when i would like to set cboProduct with the fields and format i listed

June7 is online now VIP
    Try just putting the SQL directly in the RowSource property of each combobox. Then the code will just need to requery the combobox. Works for me.

SELECT ProductItemDescription & " - " & FormatCurrency([PriceAmount],2) AS Product FROM tbl_MerchandiseProduct WHERE DepartmentName = [cboDepartmentName];

Still don't know how you intend to use the concatenated value.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Um, are you changing the table that drives the data in the combo boxes? If you aren't, that is to say if your CBOITEMCATEGORY field is always going to draw it's information from tbldbo_MerchandiseProductPrice, you don't need to populate the rowsource, you can just have a query that drives the combo box

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT ItemCategory FROM tbldbo_MerchandiseProductPrice WHERE ItemCategory <> 'N/A' AND DepartmentName = '" & forms!<YOUR FORM NAME HERE>!cboDepartmentName
    Then when you change the department name you just issue a requery command (on change, or on exit for example) like:

Code:
    cboItemCategory.requery
    You don't have to build this SQL code every time unless the source table it's retrieving the list from changes.

Thank you for all your help! i used the SELECT statement as the row source and added the requery after update and it does what i want it to do!

I appreciate the help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.