AKWells is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Report with varying row heights

I'm not sure how to describe what I am trying to do, and I have not been able to find an example anywhere to follow. I have a fairly basic report that shows information for a project and its multiple funding rounds. The name and description of the project can be long, and require multiple lines of the report to fit. The funding rows are single line only. When I create the report, the funding rows are expanded to the same height as the project description or name (whichever is longest.) I have attached an image of the report that I want, and the report that I get. I have no idea if what I want to do is even possible, and I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	16222

June7 is online now VIP
    Achieving the first output can be done with code that concatenates data of related records into a single string. Review: http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

Did you try moving the Name and Description and Total Cost into group header section?

Or a subreport as aytee111 describes in next post
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Put the two fields on the right onto a subreport. I presume the project has a key field - show the description only once for each ID and link the subreport using that key field.

NTC is offline VIP
    You can't have overlapping records...as is the display of your Want. You would have to put side by side sub reports and that is probably not going to end well..... But that record height can shrink back down - and does not have to stay as high as the record with all the text..... be sure that the CanShrink property is set to Yes......

June7 is online now VIP
    NTC, I doubt the CanShrink will make a difference. I think the Name and Description textboxes are set to hide duplicate. This is why the row height for each record is the same - the text is still there, just not visible.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    NTC, I doubt the CanShrink will make a difference. I think the Name and Description textboxes are set to hide duplicate. This is why the row height for each record is the same - the text is still there, just not visible.
    This is correct, that is how they are set.

June7 is online now VIP
    Have you tried any of the 3 options suggested?

Forgive me if this ends up being a double post, I posted earlier and I haven't seen it show up.

The sub-report method ended up working very well. I still have some color and formatting issues to work out, but overall it worked great and it was easy to do. Thanks for all your help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	16233

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.