SeaTigr is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Trying to AutoFill but Combo Box Displaying ID, Not Text

Hi all,

I'm not at all expert with Access, so please forgive the verbosity of my description, it's intended to ensure I don't mean to say one thing, but actually say something else.

Here's the setup of my db:
    Systems: Table (records systemID, system name, classification level, and other values)
    Systems: Form (for entering/modifying systems)
    Unit Type: Table (server, workstation, laptop, widget A, etc.)
    Voltages: Table (110 or 220)
    Classification Level: Table (Unclassified, Secret, etc.)
    POR Systems: Table (names of the systems to which the widgets belong)
    Equipment: Table (records data on individual widgets - parent system, widget serial number, etc.)
    Equipment: Form (for entering/modifying widgets)

I would like for users, when entering a new piece of equipment, to be able to select a system name (the table with those names is POR systems) and have fields such as classification level, points of contact, etc., auto populate. The idea is that when a user looks at the form on a piece of equipment, they will also see the information about the system the equipment belongs to.

I'm keeping the system information in a separate table so if the point of contact for system A is changed, I don't need to update every piece of equipment belonging to system A.

My understanding of auto-populate is, on the equipment form, create a combo box, then bring in all the fields I plan to auto-populate, plus the field that will be selected with the combo box. All the auto-populate fields have their column widths set to zero. I then create other combo boxes and link them to the first box changing the appropriate settings.

The problem I'm having is that when a new system is entered in the system table, the system name is stored in the system table by the system name id in the POR system table, so the id number is what shows up in the equipment form comb box. I would like the system name to show up in the combo box. Is this possible?

Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Set up the combobox as multi-column. Review http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox3.html

What do you mean by "other combo boxes and link them to the first box changing the appropriate settings"? You want dependent comboboxes (RowSource modified based on value of another combobox)? Or do you just need textboxes to show related info?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.