DB88 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Trouble with Calculation Fields

According to my book on Access, to create a calculation field I click on "Add Field", choose calculation and then choose the data type of the calcualtion results. Sounds easy

Except, when I do that nothing happens. Isn't some dialogue where I can define the expression suppose to appear? In fact the new field isn't even created. The column is still "Add Field". Am I missing a step or is there something wonky with my Access? Do I need to enable some setting/feature?

Sidenote: Not sure if this is relevant but I have Access 2010 but when I open a datbase is says "2002-2003 file format". What is that about?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like you are opening an old .mdb database. File extension starting with 2007 is .accdb. An mdb cannot have calculated field type, which was introduced with 2010.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

But it is a brand new database I made this morning using Access 2010. It never gave me an option on what version, it just automatically made it 2002. Isn't that wierd?

Can I convert the database to 2010? If yes, how?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The file extension is mdb? That is odd.

It didn't ask to convert to accdb when it opened?

Converting means creating an accdb and importing everything.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes, the extention is mdb. I checked and mdb is the default but I was able to manually change a new database to accdb. I guess from now on I will have to make sure to change the file extention before creating a new database.

Caluculation fuctions work in the brand new accdb database. I guess that was the problem (Wierd). I imported mdb database into accdb and everything seems to work now.

Thanks for your help!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Changing the file extension does not mean you have converted it. You can set up the default 'new' database type through your DATABASE OPTIONS. Under the GENERAL section of your OPTIONS group there should be something like 'default file format for blank databases'. It sounds like yours says 'Access 2002 - 2003'. Just change that setting to whatever is appropriate for you.

I didn't change the file extention of my original database. I created a new accdb database and imported everything from original (mdb) database into it. Since I just started building my original database yesturday it was still fairly simplistic and imported easily.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    ok I wanted to be sure you weren't just renaming the file I wasn't clear what you meant by 'manually changing' and I was giving you the method to make all future 'new' databases default to your version of MS access not 2002-2003 versions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.