Njliven is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Error Making Duplicate Record

I am having an issue with one person having trouble getting an error when trying to duplicate a record.
    The subform is set up with a button to duplicate a record. This allows most of the data that stays the same to be copied

to a new records and then minor changes can be made to update the record for the new month. Since there are memo fields,
    in these records, this saves a lot of retyping. One person who is using the database gets the following error when clicking on the duplicate record button.

The command or action 'Copy' isn't available now.

It makes a new blank record but won't copy over the information. You can go to the record and copy each field individually and paste it into the
    new record, but this is not very practical.

I have not been able to duplicate the error and no one else using the database is having this happen.
    What could be wrong and how can I fix it? Thanks for any help I can get on this one.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What's your code and why are carrying a memo field from one record to the next, why not have a more normalized structure where you have one memo field per 'group' (whatever your group is) that can be modified over time?

Are your users all using the same database? Are you using a front end/back end arrangement? Are they all using the same version of Access?

The button was created using the Wizard, it is a macro with the copy-paste commands in it.

This database is keeping track of projects, where each month has to be tracked and kept for history purposes. The memo fields carry a description
    of the project's progress, which can change slightly from month to month.

The database is on a network drive where it can be accessed by the users. Each user opens the same database.
    No two people are in the same record at the same time, because they are all responsible for different projects.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Your response doesn't address whether this is a front end/back end database or whether all your users are using the same version of MS access. I would expect to see the error you're encountering when a reference is broken (basically means MS access is using an instruction library which does not exist on the problem computer).

I guess I am not familiar with front or back end database. Correct me if I am wrong, but since the database was built using the latest version, it is my understanding that you cannot open a database with a previous version, so in
    this case they are all using the same version, I know there were some who had to be upgraded to be able to open the database.
    So if this instruction library is missing from the problem computer, how do we go about getting the library on the computer?
    Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Front End/Back End means that your database is split into two components. The first being the 'back end' where all the data/tables are stored. The second being the 'front end' or user interface, the tables are linked into the front end from the back end so design changes can not be made to the tables by accident (among other reasons). For instance I have two people that open a financial database I created, each of them has their own copy of a front end (user interface) because they do radically different things within the database and they don't both need the same functionality.

You can check the reference issue when your code bombs out click on the DEBUG button, go to TOOLS>REFERENCES in the VB window and see if any of them says "MISSING" or "ERROR" before the description of the reference.

Secondly if you post the code up to the point where you issue the copy command and the exact error message you're getting it may help figure the problem out.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.