cowboy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

How do I do a summary of my records

I have a database set up but now I would like a summary of some different items such as how many manholes have been input from each of the 19 areas. I am trying to figure out how to make the calculations and display them.

I have a query that gives me a list of areas and how many manholes are in each area but I cant seem to figure out how to get that information into a form or report.

This is what my query SQL looks like

SELECT Inspections.Area, Count(Inspections.Area) AS NumMH
    FROM Inspections
    GROUP BY Inspections.Area;

Am I going about this the wrong way? Would a better idea be to use a form and make the record source Inspections and then On Load write code that will count the areas and then put them into designated text boxes?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    make a new form (or report) and the wizard will have you select the source - and choose that query

Windows XP Access 2003
    After I choose the query to be the source I still dont know how to put the information into text boxes. They dont have record numbers because they are just sums but they are displayed in a format like so;

Area numDI
    APCB 20
    GOOF 1
    GOSO 1

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    it is in what is call the Field List - which is also an icon in the tool bar - - although if you used a wizard it should have inserted all the fields automatically...

invest in a textbook on the Access version that you have; it can be found at any big box bookstore or Amazon. I recommend Access Inside/Out series....

Windows XP Access 2003
    You recommended that book too me last week and I bought it :-) I have read about half of it but it just goes over simple syntax for the queries part. It doesnt go over what I am trying to do.

jbarrum is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    cowboy, I think the problem is we are not clear on what you are trying to do. you mention trying to get summary infromation into a form or report. which one is it. That is relevent in providing the proper solution.

If you want it in a report you can do it one of two ways. Fist solution would be as NTC suggested, use the wizzard to build the report off of your query that holds the data. While using the query you will see a button about 3 steps in that says "summary options" Click this button and make your selection.

If you want to manually build the summay on your report it is important to not that it must be done in either the head or footer of the section that contains you data.

Second sulution would be to build a second query off of the first that summarizes your data. Save the query with a new name, open it in design view and select vies/totals from the menu. In the row labled "total" select your drop down on the field you want summed and choose "sum"

This should provide you with enough information to get started

Windows XP Access 2003
    I just made a more specific post in the Forms Forum and it says ...

I have a database with a bunch of records, now I want to summarize this info. I made a query that is written like;

SELECT Inspections.Area, Count(Inspections.Area) AS NumMH
    FROM Inspections
    GROUP BY Inspections.Area;

and produces something like ;

Area NumMH
    APCB 16
    APD3 10
    APDG 6

I want to get that information into text boxes in a form but I dont know how to extract the information because each row isnt a record and I would like to be able to use the Area to associate with the NumMH Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.