Birdnerd is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Spelling of name in table affects whether it appears on reports??????

I have a simple dbase that shows names in a table as "Smith, John" for example. My query links two tables, and should show all names in the aforementioned table. However, certain names are missing. Here's where it get's weird - if I change the spelling of their name (Smith, J for example), suddenly they will show with the correct data. There are no common strings to the missing names, but on each, when I change the spelling, each missing name appears. I have made sure the relationship is joined to show all data in the "Names" dbase. Any suggestions???

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What are the 2 tables involved? Can you tell us what they represent?
    Also could you post the sql view of your query..

Birdnerd is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Two tables are TELLER NAMES and SUSPENSES - SQL of query:
    SELECT [TELLER NAMES].TELLERS, SUSPENSES.[DATE OF SUSPENSE], IIf([AMOUNT] Is Null,0,[AMOUNT]) AS AMT, [TELLER NAMES].CATEGORY
    FROM [TELLER NAMES] LEFT JOIN SUSPENSES ON [TELLER NAMES].TELLERS = SUSPENSES.[TELLER NAME]
    WHERE (((SUSPENSES.[DATE OF SUSPENSE]) Between [Enter Beginning Date:] And [Enter Ending Date:] Or (SUSPENSES.[DATE OF SUSPENSE]) Is Null) AND (([TELLER NAMES].CATEGORY)="t" Or ([TELLER NAMES].CATEGORY)="v" Or ([TELLER NAMES].CATEGORY)="c"));

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    A few points. Having spaces or special characters in field and object names is not a good idea in Access. It forces you to encapsulate such names with square brackets [ ]. This is a source of syntax errors. In any database system it is a design axiom to use atomic fields -fields that can not be broken down further. In this case having FirstName and LastName as separate fields would be preferred. And Names are not considered unique enough to ensure uniqueness of all records in a table. If you don't have a unique identifier for a Primary Key, you can use an Access autonumber for that purpose.
    I'm not sure how you have defined Category, but I'll assume it's 1 character long.

If you have just started with this database, you might consider these comments and adjust accordingly. That the names can be input in different formats is a cause for concern and is highlighting a poor choice for Primary key.

It will be better if you match your tables on definitely unique values.

Good luck with your project.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.