Darlene is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Parent Child records in reporting

I'm brand new to access reports so bear with a basic question. I have a database with a parent table and multiple child tables on which I would like to report. What is the basic approach I want? Do I write a query to include all then use grouping or do I setup each child as a separate report and add as a subreport. If anyone could easily direct me to tutorials on this specific application I would appreciate it. An example of my data is:

Parent table is a case submitted for tracking.
    1st child table is all communication on the case.
    2nd child table is all financial transactions on the case.

I would like my report to show parent info across whole page, then below the parent use 2/3 of page on left margin to display communication and 1/3 of page on right of communication to display financial.

I'm getting some results with subreports - but my grouping isn't right. Do I place the subreport of child data in the detail band and the parent in the heading of the "case" group?

Thanks so much.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If only one 'many' related table is involved, a query with both parent and child tables joined as the report RecordSource then use Grouping & Sorting is an option.

If several child tables are involved, use subreports. Try parent records in group or detail sections and subreports in the same section with the parent primary key.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.