Bmo is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Appending columns to tables? Showing trending data?

We have an office full of people that all have the same metrics to manage and we are riding the dashboard wave. I have the report that spits out a page for each person with the data they have to manage daily and that works great.

What I need to do now is display the trending data. Each day I run the report I have a query that sums each persons data that I need. Now I have to find a way to put that into a table so I can add the graph to the report to show the trend. So every day I would like to append a column to the table with that days information so the graph will show a history. Additionally I would like only keep the record for a rolling 30 day period. Lastly I am trying to limit the amount of work in the future if people leave/hire new in the office. I could write/manage tables and queries for all 15 people but I am trying to keep it flexible so we can contiune to use the system if I leave I can hand it off to a capable person and not have to have him or her worry about re writing querys and things of the such. Right now I have 3 tables and 2 queries to run the whole thing and it's not sensitive to the amount of data or people in the workflow.

I am decent with .vba. I did alot of work with excel but with offsets in a more visual type environment so I wouldn't be opposed to scripting it via macro/code since there is a good chance I will have to and it would help me learn a great deal which is why I took a stab at this project to begin with.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Wouldit not be wiser to add the activity date in to the query and group by date by person and set a condition under the date field to display only the last 30 days.

>= Date()-30

Bmo is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't have a table with all the info in it like that. Right now it only has 1 day worth of data, tomrrow I would like it to have 2. Day 31 I would have 30 records and would delete the 1st entry and insert one at the end.

Bmo is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I ran into another problem while I was trying that method. The derivative database is interfaced through excel, business warehouse, sap/bex front end. When I go to pull that much data I over run the entry limit in excel '03.

I'm going to try a crosstab today to group by date and then by person. Who knows, reccomend any good books?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.