82280zx is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Can I reuse my Asset Form to keep chain adding components?

This one is kinda hard to explain, anyone free and able to Skype me? I also have teamviewer on this one.

If I try to explain it here I think I'll confuse everyone.

I have a form that is designed to input data into a table called assets.

There are also components that can belong to that asset that are also classified as assets, so they will be in the same table as assets.

I can link the two together using the same table, but I want to be able to reuse my same form when the user enters a new component then jump back to the asset they was adding the componenet to? If that makes sense.

Assets has an autonumber and I made a field called ComponentID

I have AssetID as my Master Field and my Child Field as ComponentID for the subform I named ManageAssetsComponentsSubform.
    So when a new component is added it generates a new assetID which is what I want because the component is a asset, and when I go to this in my forms I can see what components belong to it.

But I was hoping to reuse my Same form or pop it up in a new windows then enter the information and update my query when I save and close it. Is this doable or did I lose you guys?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Opening multiple instances of same form requires some VBA magic. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-35.html

However, I think you said the Asset form has a subform. Not sure you will be able to do multiple instances of form/subform.

Not sure what this means "I can link the two together using the same table".
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Opening multiple instances of same form requires some VBA magic. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-35.html

However, I think you said the Asset form has a subform. Not sure you will be able to do multiple instances of form/subform.

I'll get back to you on this in a minute, I just overwrote all my work I've been doing today with an old file =/ I meant to move it to the new location and overwrite my backups but instead did the opposite.

The link the two together using the same table is related to the Master and Child field using the subform I made, I'll be back in a bit to explain more, I'm hoping that I remember my visual basic code I just created a bit ago.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

I ran across that on google earlier today but didn't think to try it out. That looks exactly like what I'm talking about, now just to do some touch ups to it, I'll read that link some more, I need it to open a new instance to a new record, thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.