crowegreg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Form locking the BE Database

At my work, I've created a FE and BE Database. I can't figure out why when a form is opened within the FE DB, it locks the BE DB. Hopefully someone will be able to show me the error of my ways. I've compressed both DB's. When you open the FE DB, you'll need to press down on the shift key to view the objects.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    I will guess it is because the listbox has RowSource that is a query.

Anytime the BE is queried, an laccdb file will be opened. This is expected.

Close the form or switch to design view and BE laccdb goes away.

Of greater concern is why the code errors with 'Can't find project or library'. Missing reference Microsoft Excel 15.0 Object Library. I have to switch to Excel 14.0
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ipisors is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    This would be perfectly normal behavior, assuming that the form being opened on the FE actually does have a binding recordsource, which data is in the back end.

The only way to avoid locking the back end, when data in it is being accessed in the front end, is to get a bit more creative (which some but by no means All or Most people do), and use a disconnected data model, accessing data for a split second...then disconnecting.....then updating when necessary.

Basically, a very "unbound" approach.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Part of my office just upgraded to Office 2013, including myself. It automatically changed the reference to Excel 15.0. It's caused me problem with my other users who are still using Office 2010. I have both versions on my PC until the office upgrade is completed.

June7, so the real problem is the Row Source being a query. Any recommendations as to how to work around this? Should I run a query to create a local table, then use the local table as the row source?

I confirmed what you wrote. When I removed the data source, the lock file was removed.

I thought I was doing good by using the queries as the row source, but that's coming back to bite me.

ipisors is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I think you're still misunderstanding. The back end file is normally locked as long as you have users in the front end doing pretty much anything. Unless you really jump through programming hoops to disconnect the data sources frequently.

Yes, any recordsource on any loaded form (be it a combobox's Rowsource, a form's Recordsource, and be its structure a SQL statement, a saved query, a linked table or anything else linked to the back end) will lock the back end.

This is normal.

Maybe we should ask why the back end locking concerns you? And suggest something else?

June7 is offline VIP
    What is the issue with locking file? Does not prevent multiple users.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I have a user that has not been able to login to the DB. In my trouble shooting, it looked like the user was not able to log in when the BE DB had the locked file. That's why I've started this thread. What else should I be looking at?

June7 is offline VIP
    Are other users able to use the db simultaneously?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.