Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    b.grove is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I did try your example and it copied 20 rows to excel and then I got error 3021 NO CURRENT RECORD. on the rs.movenext

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    As I understand it, CopyFromRecordset automatically copies all the records from the recordset, no looping records needed.

The Do Until does not apply. Must open the recordset filtered to the set to be exported and export the whole thing.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I can change my query to add the Row_ID. So each row will be numbered 1 to 1.595,240

Can you help me with my loop syntax? Pretty please?

Set RS = db.OpenRecordset
    Row_ID = RS.RecordCount
    If Row_ID = 0 Then
    MsgBox "No records to export."
    Else
    RS.MoveLast
    RS.MoveFirst
    Do Until Row_ID = 4,000
    Row_ID = Row_ID + 1
    then

objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save
    RS.MoveNext
    Loop

would you mind sharing the code you are using

"I do have code that loops through a recordset x records and repeats the loop until end of recordset. I am writing to a temp table, not Excel but same idea"
    Last edited by June7; 03-13-2014 at 12:42 AM.

June7 is offline VIP
    I did share a condensed version of the code in that post. What you show is nothing like that example. Follow the example and adapt to your db. Instead of 10 you would use 4000.

Your code does not open a recordset. The Set RS = db.OpenRecordset line is incomplete.

Set RS = db.OpenRecordset("table/query name or SELECT statement")
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I did share a condensed version of the code in that post. What you show is nothing like that example. Follow the example and adapt to your db. Instead of 10 you would use 4000.

Your code does not open a recordset. The Set RS = db.OpenRecordset line is incomplete.

Set RS = db.OpenRecordset("table/query name or SELECT statement")

Good Morning June,
    I really appreciate your help. This is wonderful! Here is my code with your recommendations. For testing purposes I'm using "5" as the number of rows I'm looping through and I'm only using 20 rows in my query. when I run the code it still pulls 20 records even when my loop shows 5. Then of course I get an END OF DATA error. what am I doing wrong? It should just pull the 5 rows then save to a file, clear rs, then select the next 5 rows, save to a different excel file. then do this until all 20 rows are accounted for.

SELECT top 20 V6_subset_20140228_v2.master_id AS [Image Number], CollectionID_enterprisecollID_House.ENTERPRISE_COL LECTION_ID AS Brand, "USD" AS [Currency Code], ".025074597" AS [Gross Amount], "31-Oct-13" AS [Sale Date], "PF20131025" AS [invoice Number], "3041" AS [Use Code], "3" AS [Industry Code], "" AS [Territory Identification], "31" AS [MetaTerritory Identification], "1-Oct-13" AS [Rights Start Date], "31-Oct-13" AS [Rights End Date], "1" AS Protection, V6_subset_20140228_v2.HEADLINE AS [Description of Image], V6_subset_20140228_v2.PhotograherCredit AS [Artist Name], "PINTEREST METADATA" AS [End Customer Name], "" AS [Job Reference], "" AS [Order ID]
    FROM V6_subset_20140228_v2 INNER JOIN CollectionID_enterprisecollID_House ON V6_subset_20140228_v2.COLLECTION_ID = CollectionID_enterprisecollID_House.COLLECTION_ID;

Sub Export2Excel()

Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim x1APP As Excel.Application
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim j As Integer

'1)Identify the database and query
    Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Pinterest_Query", dbOpenDynaset)

'2)Clear previous contents
    Dim xlApp As Object
    Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    With xlApp
    .Visible = True
    .Workbooks.Add
    .Sheets("Sheet1").Select

'3)Add column headings
    For i = 1 To rs.Fields.Count
    xlApp.ActiveSheet.Cells(1, i).Value = rs.Fields(i - 1).Name
    Next i
    xlApp.Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit

'4)count number of rows and copy to worksheet

For i = 1 To Int(rs.RecordCount / 5) + 1
    For j = 1 To 5
    If Not rs.EOF Then
    ActiveSheet.Range("a2").CopyFromRecordset rs
    rs.MoveNext
    End If
    Next
    Next

End With

rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    xlApp.Quit
    Set xlApp = Nothing

End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    That is not quite the suggestion I originally offered.

In my procedure, ALL records meeting filter criteria are retrieved. However, I output only x records at a time. Say the recordset has 120 records and I want 24 records written at a time. The loop will iterate 5 times.

I do this for an unusual report where records must print left to right and a CROSSTAB query was not feasible. Each sheet can hold 24 records. I send first 24 records of recordset to temp table that will actually create a single record by populating 24 fields. Then the loop repeats and next 24 records create another record in temp table, repeats until all 120 records are processed. Then print report based on the temp table and 5 pages are generated.

However, as stated earlier, CopyFromRecordset should not need to iterate through the records. It should copy the ENTIRE recordset in one action.
    If Not rs.EOF Then
    End If

If you want to use that method, your code would have to filter the recordset by criteria for range of unique identifier and repeatedly open and close recordset within a loop. The trick will be figuring out how many interations of the loop. Something like:
    Code:
    Dim intCount As Integer, intStart As Integer
    intIteration = DCount("*", "Pinterest_Query") / 5 + 1
    intStart = 1
    For i = 1 to intIteration
       'code to set Excel objects
       Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM Pinterest_Query WHERE UniqueID BETWEEN " & intStart & " AND " & intStart + 5, dbOpenDynaset)
       If Not rs.EOF Then
       End If
       intStart = intStart + 6
       'code to close Excel objects
       rs.Close
    Next

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.