RoundTrip is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Combo boxes and incorporating information from a choose previously choosen

Alright guys I have a form I am working on which I will post a picture of, I have two inputs you will see in the picture one is Location, and the other is Field Number. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twodropboxes.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	15620
    I am open for suggestions, but see I have a problem, I want to enter the location and I will use examples below, and when I enter the location I then need to enter the field number. But the problem is this, I might have three locations such as this
    AVille
    BVille

CVille
    well in each one of those locations, I might have a field that is field number 1 for each field. I need to have some sugesstions on how to do this cause I am stumped, I want to enter location on a dropbox and choose it and perhaps save it just for that location. Does that make sense? Because I cant have four of the same number and you not know what location it goes to, so what should I do? Im confused at this point and didn't think about this till just now :-/ Thanks everyone for advance help!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Really need more info about data structure.

Does every location have the same field numbering? Should the FieldNumber combobox just be a list of numbers 1 through whatever? Or maybe just a textbox that restricts entry to numbers between 1 and whatever?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

No some locations might have a whole different variable numbering if that makes sense, one area might have 2000 fields where as one area or locatio might only have 20 field numbers, all according how big that location is. I thought about doing a combobox with two columns but it seems to not want to work the way I want it to...

June7 is offline VIP
    Why doesn't the 2-column combobox work? What happens? Show properties of the combobox:

ControlSource
    RowSource
    BoundColumn
    ColumnCount
    ColumnWidths

Do you have a table that associates fields with locations?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Well I'm not sure it will work honestly, I just could never get it to edit like my other combo boxes with just a click, and also! I said something about only storing one column of my decision, when i needed both stored, know what I mean :-/ And yes I hsve two tables, one for the locations and one for the field number, should i make it all one table or?

June7 is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundTrip View Post
    I want to enter location on a dropbox and choose it and perhaps save it just for that location.
    Did you mean "I want to enter field number"?

If you want to limit the FieldNumbers combobox to only fields associated with selected location, need a table that defines those associations.

Well, I would like to choose the location such as aville, bville etc and if it is not there than enter it on the notinlist edit, and can you explain futher on what you mean, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, im not up to date on access lingo sorry :-/

June7 is offline VIP
    I need more info about data structure.

Nothing I described is particularly Access-specific lingo. It is basic relational database principles.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.