JrMontgom is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Query to exclude records that have data in specific text field

I have data in table called tblIncome with the fields as follows:

[AccountNumIn] as Text example "610910"
    [Incometype] as Text example "EBCY"
    [DateEnd] as Text in mm/dd/yyyy format for example Jan 1, 2013 = "01/01/2013", 02/01/2013" etc.
    [Quarter] as text with a lookup table with 4 choices "1st Quarter", "2nd Quarter" etc.

The query
    Code:
    SELECT tblIncome.AccountNumIn, tblIncome.IncomeType, tblIncome.DateStart, tblIncome.DateEnd, tblIncome.CEFAmt, tblIncome.Quarter
    FROM tblIncome
    WHERE (((tblIncome.AccountNumIn)="610910") AND ((tblIncome.IncomeType)="EBCY") AND (Year(DateValue([dateend]))="2013"));
    works but I can't exclude the data in the field [Quarter] when it contains "1st Quarter,2nd Quarter,3rd Quarter,4th Quarter" strings. When I used the following Query
    Code:
    SELECT tblIncome.AccountNumIn, tblIncome.IncomeType, tblIncome.DateStart, tblIncome.DateEnd, tblIncome.CEFAmt, tblIncome.Quarter
    FROM tblIncome
    WHERE (((tblIncome.AccountNumIn)="610910") AND ((tblIncome.IncomeType)="EBCY") AND ((tblIncome.Quarter)=IsNull([Quarter])) AND ((Year(DateValue([dateend])))="2013"));
    the result is zero records when their should be 12 from [dateEnd] = 01/01/2013 to 12/31/2013.
    Any guesses as to how I can exclude the [Quarter] records while retaining the other records?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Values in Quarter field are "1st Quarter", "2nd Quarter" etc.?

(tblIncome.Quarter)=IsNull([Quarter]) won't work

IsNull([Quarter]) returns a Boolean True/False (Yes/No) value

Try:

(tblIncome.Quarter) Not LIKE "*Quarter*"
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Values in Quarter field are "1st Quarter", "2nd Quarter" etc.?

(tblIncome.Quarter)=IsNull([Quarter]) won't work

IsNull([Quarter]) returns a Boolean True/False (Yes/No) value

Try:

(tblIncome.Quarter) Not LIKE "*Quarter*"
    I added the above to my query
    Code:
    FROM tblIncome
    WHERE (((tblIncome.AccountNumIn)="610910") AND ((tblIncome.IncomeType)="EBCY") AND (([tblIncome].[Quarter]) Not ALike "*Quarter*") AND ((Year(DateValue([dateend])))="2013"));
    and ran the query but It ONLY showed 4 records i.e. the records with data in the field [Quarter] and excluded all the other 12 records. Please note MS Access 2010 uses "Alike" instead of "Like", is that a problem? I used Like but Alike was substituted when I ran the query.

June7 is online now VIP
    My 2010 uses LIKE.

Review http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...b-68b599b31bf5

Maybe ALIKE is the opposite of LIKE? What happens if you drop NOT?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I did as suggested and dropped in Options the Ansii 92 and now Alike does not appear but the results are the same i.e. no data for the Not Like and when I use Like only 4 records appear i.e. "1st QUarter", "2nd Quarter" etc. I would expect there to be, with the Not Like code to show 12 records excluding the ones with '1st Quarter" etc but I get NO records? Certainly is a puzzle. I really appreciate your help and especially your prompt response to my cries for help. Could it have something to do with the fact the [Quarter] field has a lookup set of strings? (example "1st Quarter", "2nd Quarter" etc.?

June7 is online now VIP
    Quarter is a lookup? Then that is definitely the issue. The actual value in the field is the foreign key, not the associated alias descriptor. I NEVER set lookups in table.

How many possible values are there?

Lookups in Table interfering with Query

Quarter is a lookup? Then that is definitely the issue. The actual value in the field is the foreign key, not the associated alias descriptor. I NEVER set lookups in table.

How many possible values are there?
    Thanks for your quick reply. I set the lookups in the table design and they are the strings: "1st Quarter","2nd Quarter","3rd Quarter","4th Quarter". On further investigation I can create a working query using Like but can't use Not Like ("*Quarter*). When I use the "NOT" SQL cmd it shows NO records if I use Like ("*Quarter*) it shows all the records meeting the AND criteria i.e. the records with data in the [Quarter] field. I will try changing the table definition and not use the Lookup strings and see if that makes a difference but the fact it works with LIKE but fails with NOT LIKE is very weird. Once again thanks for the help.

June7 is online now VIP
    So if the field does not have one of the 4 values it must be null. You want the records where the field is null? Will any record ever be null in this field?

[Quarter] Is Null

So if the field does not have one of the 4 values it must be null. You want the records where the field is null? Will any record ever be null in this field?

[Quarter] Is Null
    Yes to be exact I want the records which have [Incometype] = "EBCY" AND [AccountNumIn] = "610910" AND Year(datevalue([DateEnd])) = "2013" AND IsNull([Quarter]). The [Quarter] field can be null or have string values denoting the Financial quarter.

June7 is online now VIP
    So did that work?

Using Like in SQL statement

So did that work?
    Yes finally I just used IS Null in [Quarter] field and ignored Like command. Why Like didn't work still illudes me. Thanks for your help

June7 is online now VIP
    Because

Null LIKE "*Quarter*"

returns Null

Null cannot be used in logical expressions, see Error 5 in http://allenbrowne.com/casu-12.html

Because

Null LIKE "*Quarter*"

returns Null

Null cannot be used in logical expressions, see Error 5 in http://allenbrowne.com/casu-12.html
    Thanks I finally read the Allen Browne link and it answers all my questions. The man is a clear and concise writer I would love to be as clear as he is ;-)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.