Xipooo is offline Sr. Database Developer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Overcoming Access Version problems

I am curious what other developers do to handle the age old quandary of broken references, and 32 bit/64 bit versioning.

Many of our applications use objects from Outlook, Excel, and others.. but as we all know our references break down when the Office version changes from our development environment. My personal strategy (not really a company wide strategy) is to use late binding instead of using references. I wonder what some other people do to handle this common entanglement.

Also, a similar issue arises with 64 bit version of Office. That darn ptrsafe keyword that 64 moans about. The solution advised is:

#If Vba7 Then
    Declare PtrSafe Sub...
    #Else
    Declare Sub...
    #EndIf

But plenty of times this fails and it's easier to just comment out the version of the code not applicable to the environment you're sending it to. Anyone else have a method of tackling this issue to make your code more universally acceptable?

Cheers all.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Late binding is definitely an option. I try to do early binding whenever possible and provide version specific FE files. If I can avoid using Outlook, I will use CDO to send emails. If I am exporting to Office, such as Excel, I export to the oldest version possible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.