jamierbooth is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000

Dcount based on age

Hi all. In a nutshell - I'm using an unbound text box on a form to show how many people are under 16 from the related table.

I'm building a customer management system which will hold various bits about the person and their family make up. I already have an unbound text box showing the total household members by using a VBA Dcount in the On Load event of the form.
    Code:
    Me.txtMembers = DCount("*", "[tblHHmembers]", "[CustID] = " & CustID) + 1     '+1 to add the client on
    Can I further this code to then only show the currently under 16's by looking at the DoB from the tblHHmembers ?

It has been suggested to me to use a query. I don't know SQL (still learning vba!) and if I do it with a query, I'd have to use the query builder grid, but don't know where to start with that way either. I just assumed it would be easier in VB?

Cheers!
    Jamie.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sometimes when I want to show calculations I will display them in a subform and base the subform on its own query. Using the query builder to create a named query may help. You could create a "Totals" query, perhaps.

Thanks but as I mentioned, I'm not sure where to start with creating a query (either SQL or with the builder) that can work out people under 16 in the first place!

Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by jamierbooth View Post
    Hi all. In a nutshell - I'm using an unbound text box on a form to show how many people are under 16 from the related table.

I'm building a customer management system which will hold various bits about the person and their family make up. I already have an unbound text box showing the total household members by using a VBA Dcount in the On Load event of the form.
    Code:
    Me.txtMembers = DCount("*", "[tblHHmembers]", "[CustID] = " & CustID) + 1     '+1 to add the client on
    Can I further this code to then only show the currently under 16's by looking at the DoB from the tblHHmembers ?

It has been suggested to me to use a query. I don't know SQL (still learning vba!) and if I do it with a query, I'd have to use the query builder grid, but don't know where to start with that way either. I just assumed it would be easier in VB?

Cheers!
    Jamie.

azhar2006 is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi Jamie
    Use something like this
    IIf([FieldName]=16;" ")

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    To add the Criteria of under 16 to your existing code:
    Syntax of Dcount: Dcount ( COUNTFIELD, TABLENAME, CRITERIA )

If [DoB] is just the number (like 16), use this

Me.txtMembers = DDCount("*","[tblHHmembers]","[CustID] = " & [CustID] & " AND [DoB] < 16 ")+1

If [DoB] is the Date field (like MM/DD/YYYY), use this

Me.txtMembers = DCount("*", "[tblHHmembers]", "[CustID] = " & CustID & " AND DateDiff(""yyyy"", [DoB], Now()) < 16 ") + 1

Quote Originally Posted by lfpm062010 View Post
    If [DoB] is the Date field (like MM/DD/YYYY), use this

Me.txtMembers = DCount("*", "[tblHHmembers]", "[CustID] = " & CustID & " AND DateDiff(""yyyy"", [DoB], Now()) < 16 ") + 1
    This worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!!! (I took the +1 off the end though, as that was only there to include the cust in overall household size).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.