Markb384 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Retrieving a value with less than/equal to date

Hi guys.

I have a table of data in which I do some calculations using VBA and Dlookup and it all works very smoothly. Some of the calculations involve comparisons to baseline measurements. These are within the same table as my results but with a checkbox to indicate that they are baseline. Multiple pieces of equipment are in the same table. For instance, when simplified, my data table will look kind of like below. Currently I use DLookup with the criteria of matching equipment ID and date for the normal measurements to retrieve the measurement prior to using it within VBA.

Equipment ID Date Baseline Measurement
    A 5/1/2014 No 10
    A 4/1/2014 Yes 10
    B 3/1/2014 Yes 15
    A 2/1/2014 No 9
    A 1/1/2014 Yes 10

Now, if we look at the case of equipment A, if users choose the date 5/1, then I want to compare the measurement to the 4/1 baseline. However, if the user chooses to look at date 2/1, I want to compare against the 1/1. I also want to flag up if the user chooses a baseline date (e.g. 4/1) as I want to do other things in that case.

My initial thoughts are to ensure that the database is sorted chronologically by date and use DLookup with an additional clause where the date is equal or less than the date chosen by the user. I am under the belief that DLookup returns the first entry it finds that matches its criteria, so I think this should work. However, I am struggling at finding out how to sort the table and as I can't guarantee that the data will be always be entered chronologically by the user, this is quite an important part of this method. I'm also not entirely sure how efficient this actually is.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this, or of a possibly better method I can achieve this task.

Thank you

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What happens if you choose the 4/1 baseline, do you want to see that 4/1 is a baseline by itself or do you want to see the 1/1 baseline measurement?

I'd handle this like this:

First, create a query that correctly pulls the record you're interested in (assuming you have one record per date as your data indicates)

Code:
    SELECT tblTest.Equipment_ID, tblTest.WorkDate, tblTest.Baseline, tblTest.Measurement
    FROM tblTest
    WHERE (((tblTest.Equipment_ID)="A") AND ((tblTest.WorkDate)=[Enter the Date]));
    This selects the Equipment item A with a specific work date (NOTE: I changed 'date' to 'workdate' to avoid the use of reserved words and I also changed EQUIPMENT ID to Equipment_ID to avoid having spaces in field names)
    Name this query 'qryDataPiece'

Second, create this query:

Code:
    SELECT tblTest.Equipment_ID, Max(tblTest.WorkDate) AS MRBaselineDate
    FROM tblTest
    GROUP BY tblTest.Equipment_ID, tblTest.Baseline
    HAVING (((Max(tblTest.WorkDate))<=[Enter the Date]) AND ((tblTest.Baseline)=Yes));
    Name this query qryMRBaseline, it will list the most recent baseline measurement based on the date entered by the user

Third create this query:

Code:
    SELECT qryDataPiece.Equipment_ID, qryDataPiece.WorkDate, qryDataPiece.Baseline, qryDataPiece.Measurement, qryMRBaseline.MRBaselineDate, tblTest.Measurement AS BaselineMeasure
    FROM (qryDataPiece LEFT JOIN qryMRBaseline ON qryDataPiece.Equipment_ID = qryMRBaseline.Equipment_ID) LEFT JOIN tblTest ON (qryMRBaseline.MRBaselineDate = tblTest.WorkDate) AND (qryMRBaseline.Equipment_ID = tblTest.Equipment_ID);
    This final query will show you the data related to a specific record (again assuming records are individual by date) and it's related most recent baseline information.

I have solved it (I think) using

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenTable ("tableName")
    DoCmd.SetOrderBy "[fieldName]"
    DoCmd.Close acTable, ("tableName")
    and the appropriate DLookup criteria.

Edit: As I typed my reply, your post wasn't there yet Rpeare. Thank you very much for your reply though. Once I get my head around what it is doing, I might implement it as it looks slightly more robust than my method of opening and closing the table.
    Last edited by Markb384; 02-03-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Pipped to the post by rpeare

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I don't think I have ever used DoCmd.OpenTable

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't think you're going to get consistent results doing it the way you are particularly as your database gets larger but that's your choice of course

Well, you are correct, my ingenious method fell at the first hurdle. Based on my observations, regardless of the visible order of the data within the table, it appears that DLookup is still goings through the data in order of primary key, bypassing all the subsequent baselines as it is stopping at the initial one.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It's a big bowl of Alphbet soup. records are just added to the table, a Pk is used to keep them in order, but this may also be inacurate. if you delete a record it's Pk is gone and the next asigned one is last largets plus 1.

June7 is offline VIP
    Criteria where each record must consider value of other records in same table is never easy. Requires series of queries or nested subqueries or domain aggregate functions (which you tried with DLookup). The DLookup could probably be made to work with the correct WHERE CONDITION phrasing, but it is tricky.

Maybe a solution is somewhere in http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I wonder if he even tried my solution...

Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    I wonder if he even tried my solution...
    Not yet, I've been busy with other tasks at work so this project has taken a brief back seat. So I haven't tried any solution yet and probably won't be able to until next week now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.