StevenCV is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Relationship / Form Advice

Hello,

I am trying to create an Asset Register database for use in my company. I have tried the templates from Microsoft but don't have the right knowledge to get them to work how I need them to.

I have attached a brief draft of the tables and relationships I have so far.

I have a couple of questions before I proceed with this.

1) Are my relationships set up correctly?
    There will be many contacts (staff members), who can all have a computer / phone etc, and then those phones/computers can have multiple software on them. Software does move around from PC to PC and from Phone to Phone, so I thought I should seperate those two. I am also thinking of adding tables for Printers and Monitors, and setting the relationships as I have already with the phones and computers.

2) In the tables, how do I link a computer with an "owner" (i.e. from the contacts table), and the same for linking Software to the Computer or Phone, so that it shows that link.

3) Is it possible to create a form whereby you see contact, and then there is a subform for Computer, whereby you can select from the list of computers and auto fill the rest of the computer form with the relevent info from the table.

4) Can you then add another subform that shows phones in the same way?

5) Can you add yet another subform that shows the software that is linked to any selected computer/phone?

6) If I created a form to Add Software, could I fill in the ID of the computer/phone on that form, and then when I went to the contact that was linked to that equipment, would the software then automatically show up on the subform?

7) We have a field on all equipment tables called "Security Tag" - this is actually the key identifier for our equipment. Is there a way of making this field the linked one for relationships - so that when I am choosing a computer to link to a contact, I can use the security tag field rather than the database ID?

I realise this may not be very clear, so I have also attached an image of how I see the forms working together.

Any advice on the feasibility of this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Asset Image.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by StevenCV; 02-06-2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Wrong picture attached

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    See this free data model for ideas.

Research/google -subtype/supertype inheritance
    Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.