82280zx is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Forms and Query Tables

Is there a command something I can issues to a query sheet to when I change tabs in my form to unfocus it? I'm having a problem where my next form is getting a new entry because my last form still has focus with the mouse in that field.

So Example
    Main form is Location
    Tab 2 Has a subform with a table called Rooms from a Query
    Tab 3 Has a subform with a table called Grid from a Query

What happens is lets say I last entered Living Room into the tab called Rooms it still has mouse focus, the next tab Grid will create a new entry based on that still be selected? If that makes sense. I would rather it not make blank entries. Is this doable?

Basicly I'd like to unfocus or drop focus of the the subform and table on selection of another subform or field.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you talking about Tabbed Documents setting of the database? I NEVER use this. I always change to Overlapping Windows.

I don't understand how record is created in the first tab. If you click to another tab then it should have focus.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Are you talking about Tabbed Documents setting of the database? I NEVER use this. I always change to Overlapping Windows.

I don't understand how record is created in the first tab. If you click to another tab then it should have focus.
    I'm using the Tab Control in my form, that's what I'm referring to, Tab 2 and Tab 3 have subforms in them that I'm referring to. What do you mean by Overlapping Windows?

Heres some screenshots to try to better explain.

Tabs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabs.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	15232
    Tab 1

Name:	Problem1.jpg 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	15233
    Tab 2

Name:	Problem2.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	15234

June7 is offline VIP
    I use tab control as well. Still don't understand why you get that behavior. When I click to another tab the first control on that tab gets focus.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thought I had it figured out... but I was wrong. Uploading my database file. Hope it's not to scary, I might of missed a few labels dunno. The form in question is in Location Management.

Here is the file I have so far, thanks for the help.
    https://app.box.com/s/1xtogkpwfdxkqf3h3rz7

Main form is Manage Location
    Location Information ---- > linked to Location Table
    Power Company ---- > linked to Location Table
    Room Management ---- > linked to a Query based off of the Room Table
    Grid Management ---- > linked to Subform I made called LocationManagementGrid

LocationManagmentGrid has a subform inside it based on a query of the table Grid, I named this subform LocationManagementGridSubform.

The Goal here... use the combobox inside LocationManagementGrid to filter the LocationMangementGridSubform. I want to filter the data so I only see the data based on the room selected and enter data to the room selected without affecting the other rooms.

I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by June7; 02-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.

June7 is offline VIP
    Overlapping Windows - is like a normal Windows OS window. This setting is available through File > Options > Current Database > Application Options

Something weird about the Relationships builder. Stuff off to the left I can't get to. Never seen that happen. Appears to be circular relationship which might be an issue.

Unless you use only the intrinsic RightClick shortcut search, controls used to enter filter criteria must be UNBOUND, otherwise you change data in record. So remove the field reference in the combobox ControlSource.

I don't see reason for the Room table in the RecordSource of ManagementLocationGridSubform, certainly not with an INNER join.

This is a form/subform/subsubform arrangement. Main form has LocationID. Then the subform and main are linked by RoomIDFK and LocationID, which seems odd. Room and Location are synonymous? Then subform and subsubform are linked on RoomIDFK and RoomIDFK, which really doesn't make sense. Form linking should be PK to FK. The subform and subsubform have the same data source.

I don't understand the filtering you want to do. If LocationID and RoomIDFK are synonymous, then the subform is already restricted to a particular RoomID by the Master/Child links.

Overlapping Windows - is like a normal Windows OS window. This setting is available through File > Options > Current Database > Application Options

Something weird about the Relationships builder. Stuff off to the left I can't get to. Never seen that happen. Appears to be circular relationship which might be an issue.

Unless you use only the intrinsic RightClick shortcut search, controls used to enter filter criteria must be UNBOUND, otherwise you change data in record. So remove the field reference in the combobox ControlSource.

I don't see reason for the Room table in the RecordSource of ManagementLocationGridSubform, certainly not with an INNER join.

This is a form/subform/subsubform arrangement. Main form has LocationID. Then the subform and main are linked by RoomIDFK and LocationID, which seems odd. Room and Location are synonymous? Then subform and subsubform are linked on RoomIDFK and RoomIDFK, which really doesn't make sense. Form linking should be PK to FK. The subform and subsubform have the same data source.

I don't understand the filtering you want to do. If LocationID and RoomIDFK are synonymous, then the subform is already restricted to a particular RoomID by the Master/Child links.
    When its all said and done I want to tie a bunch of information to a single location. But at those locations there are multiple rooms and each room has a grid in it. I'm trying to set up a filter for Grid data, so if I select the room called NOC, I'm only inputing data to the Location > Room (NOC) > Grid for NOC . Does that make sense?

June7 is offline VIP
    I finally got the left side of the relationship builder to show - I was trying the wrong scroll bar, oops! There is a circular relationship. Review http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...atabase-Design

That relationship chain makes sense. The form arrangement does not. Consider main form bound to Location. Subform bound to Room (linking LocationID to LocationIDFK). SubSubForm bound to GridLocation (linking RoomID to RoomIDFK). Apply UNBOUND room combobox filter to the middle form. The combobox RowSource can be limited to only those rooms that are associated with the Location record on the main form.

Another alternative is to have the Room form and GridLocation form as side-by-side subforms in Datasheet or Continuous view. Review: http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces...edSubforms.asp

I finally got the left side of the relationship builder to show - I was trying the wrong scroll bar, oops! There is a circular relationship. Review http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...atabase-Design

That relationship chain makes sense. The form arrangement does not. Consider main form bound to Location. Subform bound to Room (linking LocationID to LocationIDFK). SubSubForm bound to GridLocation (linking RoomID to RoomIDFK). Apply UNBOUND room combobox filter to the middle form. The combobox RowSource can be limited to only those rooms that are associated with the Location record on the main form.

Another alternative is to have the Room form and GridLocation form as side-by-side subforms in Datasheet or Continuous view. Review: http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces...edSubforms.asp
    Thank you for the help! I'll dig through this and see what I can do, I appreciate the help.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you see the circular relationship? Was it with the contacts/agency? area?

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes. Contacts, Agency, Ticket, Asset appear to be in a circular relationship.

Yes. Contacts, Agency, Ticket, Asset appear to be in a circular relationship.
    When I get my database put together would you mind doing a review on it for me? I'm still learning but you've been a great help! Thank you! I'll mark this one as resolved because you answered my question and enabled me to do lots of cool tricks

June7 is offline VIP
    Can post it, if I catch the thread I will review or maybe someone else will.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.