enjiel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Match similar values

Here's a fun one, I've read a number of forums that describe this very situation and the solutions are case by case. This one in particular, I managed to get to work but for some reason it stopped working after restarting Access.
    Background: Unfortunately, the data that I need to use here is done by a different office, in a galaxy far far away and, despite our complaints and profesional emails the Member and Supervisor values are filled using different formats. I've been trying to write a statement that will identify the supervisees of each member. End Background:
    The Member format is: Last, First [sometimes a middle initial, sometimes full middle name]
    The Supervisor format is: Last First (some supervisors are left null and in some cases a number... it's pretty messy).
    Rather than fixing each value by hand, I've thought of two methods. I could use an SQL statement to make up for the difference, or I could write a VBA script to fix all of the cells when I update the database from the spreadsheet that we recieve. (Or we could continue to do it line by line but the process is time consuming).
    So far, I've managed this SQL statement:
    Using Table MEMBER in a recursive join to MEMBER_1 and columns FULL_NAME (for each member) and SUPV_NAME (for the supervisor).
    SELECT MEMBER.SUPV_NAME, MEMBER.FULL_NAME
    FROM MEMBER INNER JOIN MEMBER AS MEMBER_1 ON LEFT(MEMBER.SUPV_NAME,(InStr(Nz(MEMBER.SUPV_NAME," 0"), ' ')-1)) = LEFT(MEMBER_1.FULL_NAME,(InStr(MEMBER_1.FULL_NAME, ' ')-2));
    This finds the text until a space for SUPV_NAME (which has no comma) then does the same for FULL_NAME (which has a comma, hence -2) then compares them. Also, I use Nz because Supervisor is sometimes null (even though it shouldn't be). The statement LEFT(MEMBER.SUPV_NAME,(InStr(Nz(MEMBER.SUPV_NAME," 0"),' ')-1)) works as a SELECT statement, the probelm comes up when I try to compare it to MEMBER_1.FULL_NAME in the JOIN. I get this error: "Invalid Procedure Call".
    So close, and yet so far. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this to behave properly? As it stands, if this did work, it would only compare last names, I figured I'd work on getting it compare first names as well if I can get this far. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what's causing the error.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    your post is.... not exactly the greatest!

How about you give an example of your INCOMING data and what you WANT it to be.

From the sound of it though you are strictly doing a person name (text) comparison which is *always* going to be a problem, for instance, what if you have a John A Smith and a John B smith but on one of them the middle initial is left out, you'd have to know that the other John Smith is somewhere in your dataset with the correct middle initial so you could 'deduce' the correct middle initial for the one without the middle initial, same thing goes for any first name.

enjiel is offline Novice
    Sorry about the format, I’ll see if I can clean that up.

This query is a best effort solution for a system that I can’t seem to fix. (I’ve been sending emails but it’s not likely to ever happen). So there will most definitely be issues when more than one people have the same name, but that’s a minor inconvenience for a solution to a larger problem. There’s simply too much data that we have to sift through by hand.

The table is set up as such:
    EmployeeID/ EmployeeFull_Name/ RaterFull_Name/ ect.ect.ect.

If I could change the RaterFull_Name to RaterEmployeeID then the solution would be simple, but any complaints fall into the void since no one else is going to take the time to update as much information as would have to be updated to make that happen.

The output that I’m looking for is a list of all the members who’s rater is (RaterFull_Name).
    Last edited by enjiel; 02-03-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Format

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    No example data or example of what you want the final product to be?

enjiel is offline Novice
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. Here's an example:

EmpID/ FULL_NAME/ RaterFull_Name
    39DJ2/ White, Barry J/ Jackman Hough
    283EJ/ Scottsman, Scott S/ Dean James
    JEI49/ Doe, John D/ Dean James
    NB31E/ Dean, James R / Boucher Bobby
    098JJ/ Boucher, Bobby B/ Jackman Hough

If I select "Dean, James R" from the form control, then it would return "Scottsman, Scott S" and "Doe, John D".
    The "Full_Name" field has a comma and a middle initial. The "RaterFull_Name" does not have a comma or a middle initial. (an unfortunate format and I don't know why they do it this way)

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    so are you looking to split up the names into first/last

create a form
    on that form create a combo box

make the ROW SOURCE of that combo box:

Code:
    SELECT RaterFull_Name FROM <TableName> GROUP BY RaterFull_Name ORDER BY RaterFull_Name
    name the combo box cboTest
    save the form as frmTest

Create a query

Code:
    SELECT * FROM <TableName> WHERE (RaterFull_Name) = [forms]![frmTest]![cboTest] ORDER BY Full_Name
    Save the query with any name you want.

enjiel is offline Novice
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. This worked perfectly. Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.