ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Use alias to incorporate Query Object on Inner Join

Not sure if the thread title is correct. I have two query objects that I would like to be one query object (use a single SQL string).

The first query, qry_A_A_UnitsIn, establishes whether or not a given record in tblInvLumb has any related records in tblPieces. I include the field PurchOrdFK in the SELECT statemnt to provide a join to the second query.

Code:
    SELECT tblInvLumb.PurchOrdFK, tblInvLumb.InvLumbPK, tblPieces.InWare
    FROM tblInvLumb INNER JOIN tblPieces ON tblInvLumb.InvLumbPK = tblPieces.InvLumbFK
    WHERE (((tblPieces.InWare)=False));
    The second query uses group by to provide a count of records in tblInvLumb for a given purchase order (record in tblPurchOrd). The second query joins the first query on PurchOrdPK/PurchOrdFK.

Code:
    SELECT tblPurchOrd.PurchOrdPK, Count(qry_A_A_UnitsIn.InvLumbPK) AS CountUnits
    FROM tblPurchOrd INNER JOIN qry_A_A_UnitsIn ON tblPurchOrd.PurchOrdPK = qry_A_A_UnitsIn.PurchOrdFK
    GROUP BY tblPurchOrd.PurchOrdPK;
    I am curious if there is a way to use alias' to eliminate the need for qry_A_A_UnitsIn, as an object.

Using Is Null to find unmatched records may be another approach but I want to try to learn a little more about creating alias'.

June7 is online now VIP
    Should be possible. Switch second query to SQL view and copy/paste the first query.

SELECT tblPurchOrd.PurchOrdPK, Count(qry_A_A_UnitsIn.InvLumbPK) AS CountUnits
    FROM tblPurchOrd INNER JOIN

(SELECT tblInvLumb.PurchOrdFK, tblInvLumb.InvLumbPK, tblPieces.InWare
    FROM tblInvLumb INNER JOIN tblPieces ON tblInvLumb.InvLumbPK = tblPieces.InvLumbFK
    WHERE (((tblPieces.InWare)=False))) AS qry_A_A_UnitsIn

ON tblPurchOrd.PurchOrdPK = qry_A_A_UnitsIn.PurchOrdFK
    GROUP BY tblPurchOrd.PurchOrdPK;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    That is definately working. My previous attempts using 'AS' failed. I will have to go back and see what I was doing wrong. Thanks for spacing out the SQL in your post.

Now I have something I can use at the form level to dynamicaly adjust Recordsets/Rowsources without stumbling over so many query objects.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.