LGrey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Access 2013 FE and BE strange behaviour

Just curious if anyone has run into this problem and resolved it or know why it happens?

This is the scenario:

If I make a database and designate a specific form to display when the program runs, then split the database into a front end and back end, then move the back end to a different location, I get locked out of the front end - even if I put the BE in its original location where the 2 were linked. This behaviour is NOT the case if I have not designated a form to display at startup. If there is no form set to display at startup, then I can get in and re-link the tables to the new location, but if there is a form set to display at start up, then the database FE is locked out.

I cannot even get the database to let me click anywhere If I open the file by holding shift before starting.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that the form I am using is a logon entry form or not, but it will not accept any passwords not even the correct one. I have been unsuccessful at getting around this problem, but I have a copy of the database, so I am not too worried. Of course, I would love to solve this as I don't like unexplained, strange behaviour.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be interested to hear.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

If you move the BE database to a new location, you have to relink the tables in the FE before opening the form again. If the password form uses a linked table for validation, then it is rejecting all passwords because it cannot find any data for validation.

LGrey is offline Novice
    Okay, this always happens...Just when i was about to give up after hours of fooling around, I tried right clicking on the logon form that was locked up and I was able to choose Design View, and walla! I was able to re-link the tables and get the front end working again.

Except for the fact that holding Shift no longer works. So the only issue left is that after I move the BE and re-link, I cannot get into developer mode by holding Shift anymore. I see the the ribbon tabs flash for a moment and then it all goes back to locked down state besides being able to go into design view for the one logon form that is in front of me.

LGrey is offline Novice
    Thanks for the reply...that makes sense because you were right, the passwords are stored in a linked table. Any thoughts on Shift not working now?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

I don't use A2013 yet (still on A2003), but my guess would be that the Use Access Special Keys option has been turned off in Startup (A2003 terminology)

In A2007 it is File - Options - Current Database, then look for the checkbox.

If you are the developer for a database that others will use by having their own copy of the FE you can do this (it's what I do): do all the development with the special keys turned on, and no startup form specified. That helps prevent the issues you are encountering. Then in the FE you release to the users, turn the special keys off, and specify the startup form.

HTH

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.