June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Shortcut Alt+key Not Working When Tab Control on Form

Just upgraded to Access 2010 from 2007. And also started doing data entry into database. Encountered issue I would have sworn didn't exist with 2007 but now don't have 2007 to go back and verify. And don't remember users ever mentioning.

I have shortcut keys set on buttons (using the & prefix) so that Alt+key will execute button click. This works fine except when focus is on a control that is on a Tab control page. I could understand this if focus were on a subform (on or off Tab page) but it doesn't seem to matter. Doesn't matter if the button is on Tab page or not. The shortcut only works if focus is on a control not on any Tab page.

Also think the shortcut key used to work for the Tab pages with the & prefix in their caption, but no more.

I think I am SOL but appreciate any thoughts.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    When upgrading, you have to ask if you've remembered set the Folder holding the database as 'Trusted,' in the new installation of Access. You also need to keep References in mind, too.

I'd also check the Event Tab of the Properties Pane to make sure the Control is still 'connected' to the underlying procedure or macro. They do sometimes become disconnected.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is offline VIP
    There is no VBA procedure or macro involved. The Alt+key action invoked by the & prefix is intrinsic Access functionality.

I have never bothered with trust settings in the 3 generations (2003, 2007, 2010) of this db. Just set each user's Access app install to enable all code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    FWIW I noticed that the On Click event is associated to the tabs and not just the pages for 2010. Not sure it is relevant but it does seem there are changes to the Tab Control for 2010.

June7 is offline VIP
    Changes must have taken place but I no longer have 2007 to verify. The click event should not be relevant because there is no code involved.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I was thinking different symptoms could be evidence of a common denominator; the control is designed differently now.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

...There is no VBA procedure or macro involved. The Alt+key action invoked by the & prefix is intrinsic Access functionality...
    I understand that the <Alt> + <key> is intrinsic, I was referring to the code or macro behind the Command Button that you're trying to trigger. Does the button work when you click on it directly?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is offline VIP
    Yep, and I am thinking SOL. If this worked properly with 2007 then modification of the Tab control for 2010 includes a bug.

If I can only find a laptop around here that still has 2007. Our mandate is all Windows 7 and 2010 by March.

Yes, the code works when button clicked directly. That's why this is so annoying. Supposed to be able to navigate through an entire process without leaving keyboard, from data input to printout. This means opening and closing forms and moving between controls.
    Last edited by June7; 01-28-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.