urbanhawk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Showing the file paths for attachments in a report

My company wants to store both a digital copy and a hard paper copy of the files in the access database. Because of this I need to figure out a way to show in the reports the paths to the attached files so that people reading the paper versions can locate the corresponding files on the computer in the future. I have been searching the internet for several hours and have come up with nothing. Is there a way to do this?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you using the hyperlink field type? If so: hyperlinks consist of 4 different parts. Each part is separated by a # sign. Access does not display all parts. The first part is the display name, then a # sign, then the actual hyperlink address, then another # sign, etc.

If a display name is entered, that's what is displayed to the user. If not, the address is displayed. In either case, the address determines the actual link.

Access has a full description of the parts under "About Hyperlinks" in Help. You may also want to look at the hyperlinkpart() function (I'm pretty sure that is the name of it). That function can be used in queries to pull just one part of a hyperlink field. It can be useful sometimes.

One other option you may want to consider. You can just enter the address in a regular text field (without the # signs), and use DoCmd.FollowHyperlink in VBA to open the file when clicked.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.