Markb384 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Multiple Criteria for DLookup using Dates and Strings

Hi guys

I am trying to use DLookup to test whether a record exists for a certain date for a certain piece of equipment within a table, which is then used to concantanate a string which I later use in a message box. However, I can't seem to get it to work with my test data.

My code is..
    Code:
    Dim sdate As Date
    Dim equipID As String, testString As String, msgString As String

'check a date has been selected and if one has, inform the user of which tests were performed on that date
        If IsNull([Forms]![Calculation Results]!
    [List_date].Column(0)) Then
            MsgBox ("Please enter a valid date")
            Exit Sub
        Else
            sdate = [Forms]![Calculation Results]!
    [List_date].Column(0)
            equipID = [Forms]![Calculation Results]![Equipment_ID]
            testString = "[Equipment ID] = '" & equipID & "' AND [Survey Date] = #" & sdate & "#"

If Not IsNull(DLookup("[Survey Date]", "[Results_Hutt_Dig]", testString)) Then msgString = msgString & "- message1" & vbCrLf
       End If
    I have tried to use a single string, as there will be a few of these If Not Null evaluations on several similar tables so it saved typing. I can't seem to get it to work with manually typing into the criteria for DLookup either. Originally, when viewed in the locals windows, sdate was showing the # delimiters, but these disappeared within the string, so I have added them manually. Neither version works unfortunately.

Any ideas? It's probably something really simple and stupid.

Edit: and much searching on the web, I had the idea to ensure that the dates were in the right format (based on a similar solution someone else had). Using format(date,"ddmmyyyy") seemed to fix it. The final code is below now
    Code:
    Dim sdate As DateDim equipID As String, testString As String, msgString As String

'check a date has been selected and if one has, inform the user of which tests were performed on that date
        If IsNull([Forms]![Calculation Results]!
    [List_date].Column(0)) Then
            MsgBox ("Please enter a valid date")
        Else
            sdate = [Forms]![Calculation Results]!
    [List_date].Column(0)
            equipID = [Forms]![Calculation Results]![Equipment_ID]
            testString = "[Equipment ID] = '" & equipID & "' AND Format([Survey Date],""ddmmyyyy"") = " & Format(sdate, "ddmmyyyy")

If Not IsNull(DLookup("[ID]", "[Results_Hutt_Dig]", testString)) Then msgString = msgString & "- Message1" & vbCrLf
        End If
    Last edited by Markb384; 01-22-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Solved

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access calculations are always based on US date format of mm/dd/yyyy irrespective of your PC setting. Hence, it is always a good practice to format the date as
    Format(sdate,"mm\/dd\/yyyy") and with "#" delimeters on either side of date field.
    The testring should be like -
    Code:
    testString = "[Equipment ID] = '" & equipID & "' AND [Survey Date]= #" & Format(sdate, "mm\/dd\/yyyy") & "#"
    Further, access experts advise to avoid spaces in filed names like [Equipment ID] should be [EquipmentID]
    See here for further information about date format in access - http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html

Markb384 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you Amrut, very interesting reading.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.