82280zx is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Need some help with relationships, I'll explain below.

Ok I have a form I use to enter data into multiple tables. The form consist of forms I built for the tables Power, Location, Assets, PDU, and Network. There is nothing that is similar in the tables that can really link them together, my goal is to link them all together in the Form and if a item is delete it deletes it across all the tables. I was hoping to use autonumber to link all of them together but I seem to be having a rough time grabbing the concepts of the relationship system in access. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have teamviewer if someone wouldn't mind taking some time to help me make some sense of this, hard to explain what I'm doing without showing it. Thanks all.

Edit..
    I attached my file if anyone wants to look at it, I want to link the tables Power, Location, PDU, and Network to Assets if possible.
    Not sure how to attach files here but here's a link to my box account https://app.box.com/s/9cjn3xkc2gqbp6vl4p9y .
    Last edited by 82280zx; 01-21-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Attaching my file that I have so far.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I've looked at your dB and there are several problems.

1) There are special characters and spaces in object names. Only use letters, numbers and sometimes the underscore in object names.
    See: http://access.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

2) The tables are not normalized. There are many repeating fields.
    Examples:
    iLo 1 IP
    iLo 1 DNS 1
    iLo 1 DNS 2
    iLo 1 Switch
    iLo 2 IP
    iLo 2 DNS 1
    iLo 2 DNS 2
    iLo 2 Switch
    iLo 4 IP
    Probably should have a couple more tables. Given the current structure, what happens if you have to add [iLo 5 IP], [iLo 5 DNS 1], ......etc?
    You would have to edit the tables, queries, forms, reports and code/macros (if any). If the tables were normalized, all you would have to do is add 5 to the sequence field.

The fields would look more like:
    iLo_IP
    iLo_DNS 1
    iLo_DNS 2
    iLo_Switch
    Sequence (additional field to 1, 2, 3, or 4)

3) Subforms are not linked to main form.

4) There are lookup FIELDS See:http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

5) There are attachment fields. This will cause the dB to bloat. Should be a hypertext field, with the attachments stroed on the hard drive.

6) Primary key fields are linked. This results in a 1:1 relationship. Right now, the Assets table has the foreign key fields from Power, Location, PDU, and Network.This makes each of the tables Power, Location, PDU, and Network the master (one) tables and the Assets table the child (many) table. This backwards IMO.
    If Assets is the main (master) table, then the tables Power, Location, PDU, and Network should have foreign key fields back to the Assets table.

82280zx is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thank you for the advice, I've been doing a lot of reading over the night and I think I'm going to restart my database and structure it a little different, I seen some places I could fix like you said the network area with ilo etc in it. Last time I used access was in... 2002 or 2003 when I was in college it's been a while but I'll get the hang of it I think. Thanks for the help.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    No problems. Glad to help.

Post back when you have questions. Once you think you have a working table structure, you could post it here for review or comments.
    Be sure and read about normalization. There are many sites... even a few videos on YouTube.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.