tylerg11 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

HELP! Access 2007 not finding printer

When attempting to print a report in Access which was setup to print to a specific printer I am getting the following message.

This document was previously formatted for [printer name] which is
    currently not available. Do you want to use the default printer [printer
    name]
    I don't understand because the printer and port name it is referencing is available and matches perfectly! This doesn't make sense to me. I've tried removing the printer and deleting the port and re-adding it with no success.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    In report's design view, check the printer name in Page Setup>Page>Use Specific Printer. I cannot confirm if it works for Access 2007 as I do not have it.

I've done that. Everything looks good. I've even tried uninstalling/reinstalling the printer.

Once I release the .accde version to another user it seems to switch to Default Printer. But then the message mentions it can't find the print and port name, but when I check the Printers for that user they match perfectly. Frustrating.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I would get a list of available printers from the machine you are trying to print from. I know what you mean about the port name matches, etc. I have run into issues like this previously. Bottom line, hardcoding a printer name can be tricky and it may be worth the extra work to dynamically code it. Hardcoding the name seems to work best when you use a port name that is listed in AD and the print job is sent to a server on the network not to the printer directly.

Some reference
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../ff821394.aspx

My preference is to clear all of the printer settings from the report, like printer name, and manage where the print job goes via VBA. Something like this but maybe using more dynamic code by first iterating through avaliable printers.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=accessdev

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I would get a list of available printers from the machine you are trying to print from. I know what you mean about the port name matches, etc. I have run into issues like this previously. Bottom line, hardcoding a printer name can be tricky and it may be worth the extra work to dynamically code it. Hardcoding the name seems to work best when you use a port name that is listed in AD and the print job is sent to a server on the network not to the printer directly.

Some reference
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../ff821394.aspx

My preference is to clear all of the printer settings from the report, like printer name, and manage where the print job goes via VBA. Something like this but maybe using more dynamic code by first iterating through avaliable printers.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=accessdev
    Looks like the simple following code worked! Way better than counting on the Access dialog box.

Code:
        'Set printer
        Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers("HP Color LaserJet 3600")

'Print the report
        DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPrint

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Cool. I never can remember all of the nuances with printer name, port, spool this, spool that.

It is a good idea to set Application.Printer back to default. Maybe, first check what default is, save to variant, set the printer to what you want, and then back to default.

Also, there are code samples for getttin the form object and changing it's default printer. I have always avoided this because I worry it may conflict with a Runtime Environment.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.