Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marc76 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Trying to make form to check in and check out equipment

I have been scouring the internet to find the this information. Some time ago I was a warehouse manager and they had an Access DB inventory tracking system. I can not for the life of me remember how to set up the form. I would like a Switchboard that opens first and has two buttons to direct you to a form to check items in, and check items out.

Then in the form I want just fourth things to select, and a button. We have at best 100 serial numbers in our inventory. Each item has a bar code already and our DB recognizes them with the scanner.

What I want is a form that we can select an employee ID, A job number, and then scan in whatever equipment is going to the job, then hit the checkout button.

Then when they come back to be able to simply scan in the equipment and hit the check in button and have it all go back into inventory and come off their name.

That's it that's all. I am dumfounded that I could not find this online. And I am sorry if this was already answered. These forums are so huge and to sift through to find your needle is rough......especially at work.

Thank your for your help, or direction where to look to find it.
    Marc

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Check In/Check Out - sounds like the Access desktop Library template.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Here's a 2007 library template; should run just fine in 2010:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...010206883.aspx

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Marc76 is offline Novice

Red face Thanks for the replies

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I tried those many times and they never worked for me. After some fast education I was able to make a few things happen. I have a DB built up and some forms up and running. They are all "working", but I don't know if it is efficient.

Here's, well, what I "have". I don't know code so here's the screen shot. Well that didnt work Ill try n explain. note this is all abreviated and not the way it really reads. It was built correctly with correct formatting and relating/normalized.

Equiptbl: EquipID pk - Equip subform tbl: EquipId fk; EquiphistId - Equiphist tbl: EquiphistId pk.
    Loc tbl: LocID pk- EquipHist tbl: locId fk
    Empl tbl: EmpId pk - EquipHist tbl: EmpId fk.

There are odds n ends in there as well but this is the meat of it. In this way My form is a check in/out under Equipment History, and Sub formed the Equipment so I can pull many items into the check out by means of the Equipment history ID. So they Equipment is trasacted upon by the history Id, and the history Id contains the where, the who, the when etc. So I am able in this way to check in and out and track my equipment. Here's the Kicker

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to run a query or report to see where everything is NOW. In other words, how to run a report that brings the entire equipment list up, and shows the Loc, or at least LocId that was last attached to it via the history ID. Because of the Equip Sub Form there is no direct link from the equipment ID to the location ID where it was last acted upon in the Equipment History form. I can run a query/report that gives me all the moves in the equipment history table (which by the way is an update table, as is the subform table), but I want to just see every item in the Equipment table, and beside it the last location it was assigned in the history table, ie. where it is now. I hope that was clear :/

Again I am really bad at this and if you give me code I wont know what to do with it unless it comes in the form of a video so I can see the steps and mimic them. Or a reaaaaaaaaally good tutorial.

The other version of this DB I have does not have the sub form and just has a multiple fields for the Equip Id in the Equipment History so I can run a query that gives me the info I want. As all the data would be pulled from one table it would be a simple report. But, when I go to hit the action button to update the table, I get the error that the DB engine cant find a record with a matching key in the equip table. Which is wrong as the info is a combo box deriving its data from that very table. I read somethings on line how to correct this with words I don't know and steps in codes that I don't get etc. etc.. Its all geared towards people who know the code language and such, so it doesn't help me. And to be honest the responses I read they haven't seemed to help others either.

So that's the latest from here.
    Just seeing if you have any new tips.

Thanks again for your advise

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    any chance you can zip up your database and upload it here you're asking as specific question based on your database design which is going to be hard to answer without a sample.

just create a copy of your db, compact/repair it then zip it up (for maximum size shrinking) then upload it.

Marc76 is offline Novice
    Thank you for telling me how to. I will as soon as I'm back in the office.

Marc76 is offline Novice
    Equipment Tracking Beta11.zip

Thats it I think.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The way your database is set up is a little backward for what you're doing I think, at least from what I understand of your problem.

I would approach this from the equipment side, NOT the employee side.

In other words, when you scan in your returning piece of equipment, it will bring up the most recent record of that tool being checked out, and you can enter the check in date on the same record as the last check out. You do not (I don't think, based on your structure) want to have a check out record and a check in record. Using this method you also can make some assumptions of logic.

For instance if your most recent record has both an in and out date you create a new record with a check out date

if the check out date is present on the most recent record but no check in date, you can assume it's being checked back in.

You would also be able to see if the person returning the tool is the same one that took it out, I don't know if that's important or not but if the person who took the tool out is responsible for it if it becomes lost, broken or stolen.

You'd only need 1 form to do this, all you'd have to do is scan the tool, have the form navigate to that item. Have the history of that item displayed and do whatever you need to do.

On the reporting side there's only 2 records in the Equipment history table so if your data entry is working the way you want I don't really have enough data to go forward

When you check an item back in, is it your intent (and does the database work this way) that the check in date be on the same record of the last check out? or do you have a out/in pair of records? can you perhaps. It's impossible to say from the two records you have in the history table what your end result is.

If your data DOES check out/in on the same record you can do something like this:

(in your example table I put in a check out date of 1/1/2013 for both records, I also put in equipment numbers 2 and 3 in the equipment ID field)

First I made this query:

Code:
    SELECT EquipmentHistory.EquipmentID, Max(EquipmentHistory.CheckOutDate) AS MRCheckOut
    FROM EquipmentHistory
    GROUP BY EquipmentHistory.EquipmentID;
    I saved this as qry_MRCheckout

then you can run this query:

Code:
    SELECT qry_MRCheckout.EquipmentID, Equipment.EquipmentMake, Equipment.EquipmentDescription, Equipment.InService, Equipment.BeingRepaired, Equipment.SerialNumber, Equipment.EquipmentModel, EquipmentHistory.CheckOutDate, EquipmentHistory.CheckInDate, IIf(IsNull([checkoutdate]),"No Loan Record",IIf(IsNull([checkindate]),"Out on Loan","In Stock")) AS CurrentLocation
    FROM (qry_MRCheckout LEFT JOIN EquipmentHistory ON (qry_MRCheckout.EquipmentID = EquipmentHistory.EquipmentID) AND (qry_MRCheckout.MRCheckOut = EquipmentHistory.CheckOutDate)) LEFT JOIN Equipment ON qry_MRCheckout.EquipmentID = Equipment.EquipmentID;
    It will show you the location of every tool based on the assumptions that:

1. A tool with no loan record is a 'new' tool and is noted with a tag 'no loan record'
    2. A tool where the most recent record has a check out date but no check in date is currently on loan and is noted with a tag of 'Out on loan'
    3. A tool where the most recent record has a check out date AND a check in date is currently in stock and is noted with the tag of 'In Stock'

June7 is offline VIP
    And sounds like exactly what the Library template demonstrates.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Marc76 is offline Novice
    Rpeare, thank you for your reply.

the idea is that "check in" really does not check in, as much as puts the location id as in the office.
    its more of a mental thing, all the employee sees is check in, and one "visible" location option, office. In this way they make the item location the office.

one issue is that sometimes a job is long running, and it can stay in a location for as much as 6 months, and the operators rotate out. So it is most important to know the last location a piece was "checked" to in the history table.

here's the general situation. We had a bunch of jobs come through at one in December, and no one knew where all the equipment was. No one knew what had come back from jobs, what was where, if there were items out for repair, and if so what were they and had anything come back. My plan is that by checking things to jobs, repair, office, we can run a report which will say exactly where it all is, based on the last location it was "checked" to.

so the only purpose of employee info is just to know who to ask if something isn't where its supposed to be to see if they did something with it and not checked it.

to answer your one question, no, I'm no where near good enough to tell it to check in and out on the same record. As I said though, check in is more an idiom for marking the new location "office".

Marc76 is offline Novice
    June7,

I downloaded the library template and it was so much harder for me to understand as it doesn't come with directions and everything I did to it eroded the function and built in components to where it was unusable. I tried to get a tutorial and came up empty. So I went with a new build.

June7 is offline VIP
    Even if you must build from scratch I would think that the Library db could provide some ideas for structure and code, even if it is macro heavy. Good Luck with your design.

Marc76 is offline Novice
    rpeare:

When I ran those it didn't quite run what I was looking for. I couldn't figure why, then I noticed, The first query statement is calling for the euipmentid from the history table. No equipment ID shows up in the history table because of the subform needed to input multiple items. That's the thing that's killing me. I'm trying to pull records from two tables that are linked by a third table.

Equipment is linked to subform linked to history. So the dates and location are in the history, and the equipment is in the sub form.

Im trying to tell the query, to give me all the equipment based on equipmentID from the sub form, then match their equipment history id to the information of that history ID in the history table. Put it all together and give me 5 columns, The Equipment ID, description, Serial Number, where it was last checked to, and I guess date would be good. If you look at my equipment query, picture that, with two more columns, the location it was last checked to and when. So If I could tell that Equipment query to add to it, match that ID with the most recent activity on the subform, then match that history ID with the data in the history table under that ID. LOL, Im sure that is clear as mud.

I will be tinkering with what you gave me as I try and teach myself SQL statements here.
    Thank you again so much for your help. Im down to one and a half days to be done with this.

Marc76 is offline Novice
    Hahah, time is killing me so Im adding my updates as I go.
    I changed the first query to

SELECT EquipmentSubForm.EquipmentID, Max(EquipmentSubForm.EquipmentHistoryID) AS MRCheckOut
    FROM EquipmentSubForm
    GROUP BY EquipmentSubForm.EquipmentID;

That now gives me all my equipment and the highest number history ID (which would be the latest location history). Now I need to join that history ID to the history table and pull up the data contained that corresponds to that history ID

By the way the query you gave me looked just like I would like it. All the info I wanted.

Marc76 is offline Novice
    Hahah, time is killing me so Im adding my updates as I go.
    I changed the first query to

SELECT EquipmentSubForm.EquipmentID, Max(EquipmentSubForm.EquipmentHistoryID) AS MRCheckOut
    FROM EquipmentSubForm
    GROUP BY EquipmentSubForm.EquipmentID;

That now gives me all my equipment and the highest number history ID (which would be the latest location history). Now I need to join that history ID to the history table and pull up the data contained that corresponds to that history ID

I was talking to my brother who does web development but doesnt work in Access, so he helps some. That without the equipment ID in the History Table I'm sorta stuck.

I'll run it by you. The equipment table is linked to the sub form by the equipment ID, the sub form is linked to the rest by historyID. Is there no way to get the query to pull the Equipment information and the location information through joining the history ID?

Im about to throw in the towel on this one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.