NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Access 2010 changeover

My work just changed over from Windows XP/Office 2007 to Windows 7/Office 2010 and I'm starting to see some problems with my databases.

I have a command button on a form to open a picture. The code behind the button looks like this...

Call Shell("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\OIS.EXE " & Chr(34) & "T:\ Path to folder\01.JPG" & Chr(34), vbMaximizedFocus)

I changed OFFICE12 to OFFICE14, but can't find the file OIS.EXE to open Microsoft Office Picture Manager. The OFFICE14 folder doesn't have any .exe files at all. Are the EXE files hidden somehow, or do I need to find the path to something else in Office 2010?

Another problem I have heard about but haven't seen...when someone opens a database, they get a message saying they do not have exclusive use to the database, and cannot make any changes. They can click "OK" 7 or 8 times and get in, but it is an annoyance, and they are just trying to use the database anyway, not make any changes to the design. Any way I can fix this?

Thank you for your help!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Why don't you cause your control button to be a hyperlink?

ControlName.HyperlinkAddress = "MyPath"

As far as the exclusive thing. It is hard to say what is going on. You may have code that causes the db to go exclusive. I would start by right clicking the ribbon and looking at client settings. There is an option to allow opening the DB exclusively.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I've never tried a button as a hyperlink before. The file path will change depending on the information on the form, but I assume that won't matter as long as the path coding has the ControlName.HyperlinkAddress = in front of it. As for the ribbon, I'll look into that when I get back to work later next week.
    Thank you for the fast response.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yup. So you could

Dim MyPath as String
    MyPath = Me.ControlWithDynamicPathInfo

Edit
    In the click event for the control you will still need to put the control name (the same name as the event handler) in the code. Of course, no quotes. Hope this makes sense. The user Clicks a button named, "Button". You would place the following in Button's click event handler

Dim MyPath as String
    MyPath = Me.ControlWithDynamicPathInfo
    Button.HyperlinkAddress = MyPath

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You might find this interesting http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Along these same lines, I've run into another problem with Access 2010 that worked fine in 2007.
    I have equipment that uses an Access 97 database to collect transactions. I wrote an append query to transfer transactions into a new database that runs my reports as well as so many other things. When needed, I copy the old database and paste it into a folder on my computer. Then from my new database I click a button that triggers the append query (for lack of better understanding). The macro to do this looks like this...

RunApplication
    Command Line "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Databases\OldDatabase.mdb"/x Append Transactions

A couple of problems I notice, but I'm not sure what to do about them...
    1. Next to "RunApplication" is a yellow warning that says "Unsafe Action".
    2. There is no "RunApplication" option in the Action dropdown box in 2010 that I can find.
    3. Again, I can change "OFFICE12" to "OFFICE14", but there is no MSACCESS.EXE in the OFFICE14 folder.

How can I fix what used to work so perfectly in Access 2007?

Windows XP Access 2003
    You can try adding your folder "Databases" to trusted locations. I uploaded a utility that might help you to edit your registry. It is the RegEdit.zip file here.
    https://www.accessforums.net/program...tml#post197578

That may help with the warning you are getting. It may require an additional reg edit though for trusted files to get rid of the unsafe action. The code in the DB and some searches on the internet may help you to created the needed key.

My path to A2010 executible is
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE

This is for a 64 bit OS and 32 bit Access.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You could always do two searches to find the paths (locations) on your computer for the files OIS.EXE and MSACCESS.EXE.....

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the help. I already had the folders in trusted locations, but the correct path "Program Files (x86)" is what did the trick. One more problem...
    Above the RunApplication line of the macro, I have "Set Warnings Warnings On - No", but I still get several warnings (that the query will add or delete records in the database-do you want to proceed?, the other database is in an earlier version of Access-do you want to convert it, some number of records have been added to the table...). How can I really get the warnings to stop popping up? The warning says to look in Help to prevent the warnings, but I didn't see anything that applied to this.

Windows XP Access 2003
    If the triangle is still popping up this is an indication there is still a trusted location issue. VBA and the warnings false thing is what I use to suppress Update query warning messages. The other option is to use VBA to run your update query and use CurrentDb.Execute.

Beyond that, you may always get a message because of the older version. May be time to update the Access 97 DB.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I poked around some more & found most of the solution. Under File/Options/Client Settings, under Confirm, I unchecked the Action Queries. This still prompts me that the old database is in an older format, but I've lived with that for years and all the users know how to click through that. For now, this database is running as good as it did in Access 2007. Thank you all very much, now on to the next one with a bit more more knowledge!

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Thankfully I still am using A2000.
    But I feel the winds of change coming.... forcing me to A2010.

Thanks for letting everyone know what you found. I'm sure it will help me in the future.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.