wardw is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000

Access hangs when I paste a column of data from Excel worksheet

I have an Excel 2007 worksheet whose data I want to copy into an Access 2007 table. I'm using Copy/Paste, copying an Excel column and pasting into the corresponding Access table column. Some work fine, if there aren't too many records in the column, but for others Access hangs at the "Paste in Progress" stage. In all cases I first get a message that any data that can't be pasted will be in the Past Errors table (which is empty when I check it). I have plenty of memory and disk space, so that shouldn't be the issue. All files are on my C drive, so no network involved. The data is just text in both tables.

Rebooting Access is getting a tad old; is there some other way to get the data into Access, like importing it? I've ensured that the Excel worksheet is identical to the Access table, except for the data.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why pasting a single column? Are these new records?

Can set link to Excel worksheet and then use it as data source for INSERT and UPDATE actions to the Access table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

wardw is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000
    Thanks, June7. The records aren't new; I've set up the Excel worksheet columns and column headings to duplicate the Access fields, so I was trying to just copy/paste. Anyway, I'm trying something else: importing the Excel worksheet into Access. I'm having a problem with that, too, which I'll address in a separate thread.

June7 is online now VIP
    I am able to copy/paste columns from Excel to existing table. So there is something about your data.

If you want to provide the Excel, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7 is online now VIP

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.