Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

What is an Access Portal?

I am applying for a job that generally plays to my strengths.

3 + years Access Database programming ·3 + years experience with Visual Basic Applications
    ·Strong knowledge of the SQL programming language
    ·Ability to generate reports in Excel utilizing Access Data.
    ·ETL experience merging databases
    Ability to report in in a timely manner

Then there is this sentence.

"The client is looking for a
    Remote Access Portal Developer to provide modifications to their existing Access Portal "

Well, I don't know what that is. It may be something I'm already doing, but brief seaches online don't turn up any clues. It would probably help if I knew what I was applying for. heh, heh.

I await your embarassingly simple answer.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm guessing they have an off site database they either provided or helped develop to a remote business/user and they want you to be responsible for updating/modifying it without actually having to travel to that location.

OR

they are might be using something like sharepoint where they've developed a database that's web enabled for remote users.

Typically when someone's using sharepoint they'd advertise it as such though so I'd guess the former rather than the latter.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Sounds like they are referring to LAN access via WAN. That is IT stuff. Don't know why they say developer. Sounds like Network Administrator stuff to me. Not sure what protocols may be involved, nowadays with everybody using "Cloud" terminology. Probably have an existing VPN that relies on a VPN client. They may use RDP or they may use Active Directory access via another protocol. When I see that term I think of a secure connetction to the Inside from the Outside.

Maybe they use Go To My PC

Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Interesting, RPeare. This is a remote job, which obviously I have only heard the bare bones about. Sounds like something outside my core skills. I'll wait till they 'splain it it detail before I decide if it's right for me.

Thanks RPeare, you too ItsMe.

I'll let you know what happens.

Paul

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.