Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    warrenpage is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Create Check Boxes/Option Groups for Data Imported into a Table? (Access 2013)

I have a table with 137 records that I've imported from an Excel spreadsheet. In this table are two Yes/No fields.

I've created a form for this table. My question is this: Is it possible to create a check box control for a Yes/No field, and have the checkbox be checked for all of the YES values, and unchecked for all of the NO values?

You know what…while it's on my mind…the same question applies to creating an option group. I have a Short Text field with only three possible values in it:
    1. Part Time
    2. Full Time
    3. Former

I know an option group creates numerical values for its options. Is it possible to create an option group based on the above three values, and have a radio button already marked, based on the value?

The purpose of doing this should be obvious: I'd rather do this than have to check the boxes and mark the radio buttons manually, since there are 137 records. Thank you! WP

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You have imported the records-- so now you're dealing with Access.
    Why not have a Form bound to your table - this can be designed/created by Form wizard. Adjust the form design as you wish to have the check boxes.
    What have you tried? Some of this stuff is a little bit like learning to sail--- you have to get your ass wet now and then --but you learn by doing.

Search for examples using Google or Bing. There's all sorts of things on youtube.

Good luck.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    An Option Group could do that. The Option Group control would be bound to the field. Without using VBA code to translate the numbers to text values, it is numbers that will be saved. Then have to join tables in queries to retrieve the text value. For such short values, I prefer to save the text, especially since there is no other related info in the table.

A combobox would be easier.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Maybe I'm not using the right search terms and nomenclature for Google and Bing.

I know how to use the Form Wizard. I know how to create check box controls and option group controls. That's easy. What I haven't figured out yet--probably because I am not using the right words in web searches--is how to have a check box contain data that already exists in a table.

Do you know of any such You Tube videos or web sites that explain how to do this? If not, then what nomenclature should I use for doing a Google search for this stuff?

And I'm pretty sure my form is bound to my table. But the Check Box control is checked for every record. It should only be checked for the YES values. So, I have to figure out how to fix that, without doing it manually for 137 records.

I have successfully done this with combo boxes. I could easily settle for that, and end things right there. But I would prefer to use check boxes and option groups for certain things.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    June,

Are you saying a check box cannot reflect YES/NO values that already exist?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I found the following information:

http://bytes.com/topic/access/answer...heck-box-excel

It says to convert YES and NO to TRUE and FALSE. Will that work with check boxes?

June7 is offline VIP
    No, did not say that. A checkbox only shows a check mark. Bind the checkbox to field and it will reflect existing value.

A checkbox or radio button within an OptionGroup is a bit different. The OptionGroup control is bound to the field. The 'active' checkbox or button is determined by value of OG control for existing record, clicking a checkbox or button changes the OG control value which passes to field. I rarely use OptionGroup. Don't think I have ever used one bound to a field. I have used them for user selection of filter criteria and then execute code to build a filter string based on the choice.

If the import resulted in 0 and -1 values in the Yes/No field, then no, that link is not helpful.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I got the check box working.

Now, to work on the option group.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for posting that link, but unfortunately, that video does not address the question I posed in this thread. But thank you anyway.

As of right now, I am able to use check boxes and combo boxes, but not an option group. In other words: I know how to create an option group from scratch, but I do not know how to create an option group that displays data already in a table/query. I'm still working on that.

June7 is offline VIP
    The only real difference is binding the OptionGroup control ControlSource property to field.

Set the checkbox or radio button or toggle button OptionValue property to the numeric values saved in the field.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    The only real difference is binding the OptionGroup control ControlSource property to field.

Set the checkbox or radio button or toggle button OptionValue property to the numeric values saved in the field.
    I've done this--I've assigned the numeric values. However, I do not see a control source property for the option group. Where do I find it?

June7 is offline VIP
    You created an Option Group control (Access will label it FrameX) from design tools icon that looks like a box with xyz at top? Select the control on the form and look at Property Sheet. The ControlSource property is on the Data tab, just like other data controls.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I don't see any options for Control Source. Here's what I see:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	option1.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	14422

Name:	option2.JPG 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	14423

Name:	option3.JPG 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	14424

I did use the XYZ Option Group wizard, yes.

June7 is offline VIP
    That appears to be showing the Property Sheet for radio button (aka Option control), not the Option Group control (aka Frame control). Click on the outline of the Frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.