Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Griphon is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007

Lightbulb Records

Hello ,

I would like to create a stores receiving and dispatching database. I would like to know how would one go about setting up a table structure to allow the following:

I would ideally have 4 tables. 1.Stock Items 2.PO Numbers 3.Recieving 4.Dispatch

What I would like to accomplish is to receive/dispatch stock on existing stock codes attached to a PO number.

Therefore I would like to try and create something where I can enter a PO number and list multiple stock items to that number. When displaying the record of the PO number thus would return the items attached.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Usual approach is to have a table related to PO_Numbers that has records of the items associated with that purchase: PurchaseDetails

Not sure what Receiving and Dispatch are for.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2007

Lightbulb Records

Good Day, Thanks for the response,

1. I receive a list of PO_Numbers that are generated from an online database and imported into a table.
    2. When receiving the stock the PO_Number is used and stock items from an available list, and the opposite when dispatching changing the stock levels of the stock items.

Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    You could have one table for the in/out transactions with another field for the transaction type. In either case, can use a form/subform arrangement for entering the transactions. Main form bound to PO_Numbers and subform(s) bound to transaction table(s). Find existing PO on the main form or enter new PO then enter the related transaction records in subform(s).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2007

Lightbulb Records

Hello June7,

Please see attached at what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Form and subform have same data source. That's not how should be. Reread my previous post and review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx

Also, if the combobox is intended to be just input for filter criteria, it must be UNBOUND.

Windows 8 Access 2007
    Hello June7,

I have made attempts to access the list of poa numbers from the drop down and select the product from the Sub, but the data seems to be saving incorrectly.

I did read through the link supplied I just cannot seem to come right.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    If you want to provide latest version, will analyse.

Windows 8 Access 2007

Records

Database1.accdb

Hello See attached, thanks for the response

June7 is offline VIP
    The unbound combobox to select PO will accomplish nothing.

I don't see that you have attempted what I suggested about the form/subform design. Both forms still have the same data source.

Linking the forms on the same field from the same table will accomplish nothing.

Your data structure is still not correct.

Appears you need a better understanding of relational database principles and the use of form/subform.

Consider a conventional business db model: A purchase order is a transaction to buy product. A sales order is a transaction to sell product. Those are three entities for the db. Customers and Suppliers are two more entities. Customers are related to Sales and Suppliers are related Purchases. Products are related to Purchases, Sales, Suppliers.

tblSuppliers
    SupplierID
    SupplierName
    Address

tblCustomers
    CustomerID
    CustomerName
    Address

tblProducts
    ProductID
    ProductName
    SupplierID

tblPurchases
    PONum
    PODate
    SupplierID

tblPurchaseDetails
    PONum
    ProductID
    Quantity

tblSales
    SalesNo
    SalesDate
    CustomerID

tblSalesDetails
    SalesNo
    ProductID
    Quantity

In your case, you receive a list of items associated with a purchase order and dispatch items by some other instrument. Do you care to document who from/to? A very simple model:

tblStock
    StockID
    StockNum
    StockDesc

tblMovement
    MoveID
    MoveType (Rec, Dis)
    DocID (PONum, DispNum)
    MoveDate
    StockID
    Quantity

If there can be multiple stock items for each instrument, split tblMovement in two and have a Details table. Use form/subform arrangement.

Windows 8 Access 2007

Records New

Hello June7,

I shall give this a try and give you some feedback, I really do thank you for all your assistance.

Griphon

Windows 8 Access 2007

Lightbulb Records New

Hello,

I have attached an update, I would just like to know once I have filtered my Item, how do I retain the DocNo and add the selected item to the record?

ThanksDatabase2.zip

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Griphon,

Start with an overview of WHAT your business is. Identify the Entities and attributes of each. Using you business description determine the relationships among your tables. Create a data model of what you are trying to build.

Work through this tutorial to get an appreciation of the steps involved in database design.

Good luck with your project.

June7 is offline VIP
    What DocNo are you referring to? MoveID should be the autonumber primary key.

A record in tblMovement should have either supplier or customer, not both. For proper normalization, there would be only one field for person/company ID in tblMovement.

Using tabs for Receiving and Dispatch doesn't really help. Still need to pick the MoveType from a combobox.

Windows 8 Access 2007

Question Records

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What DocNo are you referring to? MoveID should be the autonumber primary key.

A record in tblMovement should have either supplier or customer, not both. For proper normalization, there would be only one field for person/company ID in tblMovement.

Using tabs for Receiving and Dispatch doesn't really help. Still need to pick the MoveType from a combobox.
    Hello June7,

The DocNo is a list of Purchase order numbers that I receive from a third party app, I would use supplier on incoming stock and customer on outgoing stock. The reason for the tabs is that I can have a text box with a default value on each of the pages to auto insert the move type.

Thanks in advance again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.