ALHUANG is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation Calculated field in mde using 2010 runtime

Reference: https://www.accessforums.net/program...lue-14606.html
    I have the same problem with 2003 mde file in 2010 runtime. Can anyone shed some light on this. thanks.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    How are you calculating the fields? are you using VBA or a query? When did the calculations stop working? Did they ever function correctly?

Hi IsMe, The field is assigned with VBA code, not query, which returns a customer's balance from SQL database in the same computer. Our application (2003 mde) runs on MS Access 2010 under Windows 7 64bit, XP (32/64 bit) without this particular problem. What I have seen so far is as long as the calculated field is not ever set with focus, i.e, click on or tab on, the value on the field won't show up until otherwise. To further test, I created a simple application with one form with two text boxes. One (first tab order) is assigned with Date() built-in function, the other with a function which returns the value of Date(). The former one shows the date value as soon as the form loads, but the later one shows blank until me clicking on the field, or tab in to the field. If I changed the tab order other way around, then both shows when the form loads. This is the problem I have nerve seen from Access 95 to 2003. I have not tested in on Access 2007 yet. It seems Access 2010 under Winows 32 bit will cause this problem. Hope you can help.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have seen it. The one instance I did see it was when I was working on an accdb file going back and forth between an XP machine running Access 2010 RT and a W7 64bit machine. I was testing a function in RT, closing and opening the file, going back and forth between machines. Then, all of the controls disappeared. I could see them in design view but otherwise they were non-existent.

I was able to open the form's module so I copied all of the VBA into a text file and rebuilt the form, one control and sub routine at a time. Other than the form, the DB seemed to be fine. I don't know that I recall that symptom happening before. For me, I could not click inside the fields of the controls. But other than that it was the same symptom. Compact and repair, moving controls around, and changing property settings had no effect.

Hope this helps....

So, are you saying that once you rebuilt the form, one control and sub routine at a time,then this kind of the problem will be solved? If that is the case, hope it is not the only solution for our application that has many forms with the calculated fields.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHUANG View Post
    So, are you saying that once you rebuilt the form, one control and sub routine at a time,then this kind of the problem will be solved? If that is the case, hope it is not the only solution for our application that has many forms with the calculated fields.
    All I really can say is what I experienced. Don't recall controls disappearing before, it may have happened and I just don't remember. I was opening and closing a file and kind of mistreating it. The file broke. I rebuilt the form to get it to function correctly. I have not seen the symptom since, but I have not abused the DB since. I may be able to get the symptom to occur again if I tried.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.