edwardcga is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Installation of ACCESS 2010 Runtime

I ran the packaged solution ACCESS 2010 (with runtime installed also ) onto another computer. When I run it it shows the security warning, the runtime shows only file and the menu bar is gray out. Nothing shows even though the .ACCDB and ACCDR file are there. Anyone can advise what did I do wrong and what is missing there.

Thanks

EW

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardcga View Post
    .....the runtime shows only file ......
    Thanks

EW
    I don't understand what this part means in your quote. Are you able to click OK when the security warning is displayed? Did you select a form to automatically launch at startup?

Thanks for your advice. I made a main form for startup. Now works. Only issue left now is to get rid of the security issue.

EW

Windows XP Access 2003
    You can adjust the settings on the machine to allow macros globally. I also believe you can adjust the settings to trust a specific location. You can do a regedit to add a key. Always place the DB files in these locations that are specified by the key(s).

I added the trusted location already. Where do I adjust the settings to allow macros globally. How do I add a key. Please advise. I am not familiar with these technical tasks.

Thanks

EW

Windows XP Access 2003
    I tried to get rid of the warning on a test machine I have running 2010 RT and was unable to. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Basically, you need to do a regedit. You need to add a Key in the trusted locations.

Post #2 in this thread describes it.
    https://www.accessforums.net/securit...app-17714.html

I need to take another look at it because I need to do the same thing. The other option would be to install a certificate in the DB, but you need licensing for that and it costs big bucks.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Searching the web... it seems I may have to add some stuff to my registry because I am on a network. I may have a chance to work on this during the weekend. I will post here what I discover......

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    There is a utility here along with registry keys.
    http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Trust...sted_Locations

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks amrut. I have seen that utility before but never tried it out. It will work fine if you want to add a trusted location that is on the local machine. I learned that network drives require another key to be added. Also, 64 bit versions of RT will require a QWORD vs, DWORD.

I decided to create my own automated application. I did not test it on 64 bit RT. It uses Wscript. Not sure Wscript will support creating QWORD registry keys.

Here is the Access app I created. Open the application using the machine you want to edit the registry on. Select the options to include subfolders, type a UNC path, or a local path. Type the path into the textbox provided and hit the command button. The VBA will create a Wscript object and create/edit the registry as needed.

RegEdit.zip

There were two threads I found on the web that helped me out. One was here, where someone posted about the network path vs. local drive.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-network-drive

The other was here, at UtterAcces. This gave me the idea to create an app using VBA. It would be a great way to automate machines on a network. I will probably also want to develop something to manage trusted documents at a later time. I imagine having some code that runs in the FE to ensure all of the VBA will run, just like the thread suggests. It is also mentioned that this code is not tested for W8 and 2013. Hopefuly it is just a matter of changing some definitions of some string variables to accomodate other apps/OS versions.
    http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/inde...rustedLocation

Anyway, I tested the app. It seems to work without any bugs. It will check for existing keys and look at the paths to avoid duplicates. It will edit existing keys if you want to change subfolder option, etc.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.