Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Searching a record through the subform

I have a mainform with a Link master field tied to a subform

I am looking for corresponding records but searching through the fields of the subform hoping however that won't work (as I am guessing I am on the mainform record) - is there a way to search records through the subform?

each mainform record brings up the correct record on next but searching would be nice as details like date are kept in the subform table.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Not sure what you are searching for but you can create a recordsetclone of the subform and search through it. When you get to the record, you can bookmark and the pass the bookmark to the subform

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Not sure what you are searching for but you can create a recordsetclone of the subform and search through it. When you get to the record, you can bookmark and the pass the bookmark to the subform
    To explain further - it's a many to many group of tables. one table is teacher name (which is tied to an id for the schools table) a junction which is tied to a bookings table.

The bookings table is the master and the teacher table is the sub (or vice versa, however when creating a new record, the teacher table is the master as that is required to come first and then the junction ties that record to the bookings table)

the scenario is that occasionally we have to search by date, other times search by school - the date is in the booking table not the teacher/school tables.

I can make a continuous form which displays all the information and filter/search that but I would like the ability to use ctrl F on the form when I am stepping through records to find directly what is needed rather than use a listbox on a form or a continuous form to find a record.

Windows XP Access 2003
    If you currently have a continuous form where you can set focus on a control, what is the problem? If you have focus on a record or a control, Ctrl+F will go after that. If your focus is on the subform, it is the subform that will get searched. At least, that is how I recall it working.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    If you currently have a continuous form where you can set focus on a control, what is the problem? If you have focus on a record or a control, Ctrl+F will go after that. If your focus is on the subform, it is the subform that will get searched. At least, that is how I recall it working.
    The staff want a form where they can go from one record to the next - without having to use a continuous form to search through first (personally I would just prefer a continous)

Windows XP Access 2003
    you can use Ctrl+F on standard form view. It will take you to the record.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.