RayKinStL is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Help creating a report to give statistics on data

I have a table that has the following fields....

StuID (primary Key)
    Last Name
    First Name
    Grade Level
    Team
    Race

Race has 6 choices under it (W, B, A, I, M, H)

I have another table that feeds a survey online that has 11 Y/N questions. The answers populate this table, so that I end up with a table that looks like...

StuID (Primary Key) (linked relationship to data table above)
    Q1YN
    Q2YN
    Q3YN
    Q4YN
    Q5YN
    Q6YN
    Q7YN
    Q8YN
    Q9YN
    Q10YN
    Q11YN

This table is then filled with checkboxes that are checked if the student selected "Yes" and not checked if they selected "No"

What I want to do is extract a report from this data that will tell me, by race, total users who selected "Yes" and total who selected "No"

So my results would show, for instance...

W
    Y-15
    N-10

B
    Y-4
    N-3

H
    Y-7
    N-12

I
    Y-5
    N-2

A
    Y-7
    N-2

M
    Y-2
    N-1

Now IDEALLY, this data would flow into individual pie charts (one for each race) to make the data easier to read in a visual manner. However, just getting it in the format above would be a huge step. I could easily do this all manually in excel doing some sorting and creating extra worksheets, but I can't figure out how to get this to work with reports and such. Anyone that can put me on the right track would be awesome. To this point, I created a query that game me Sums for each race on each question (when they chose "Yes") although that number was negative (since "Yes" is stored as -1). I have another query that gave me totals, by race, on each question. But I can't find a way to take one field of data from one query, combine it with on field of data from another query, do some subtraction (Total - Yes = No) and then display a chart or percentage comparing the Yes and No answers by Race. Ultimately I will be doing this for other categories including Team (of which there are 9) and Grade Level (of which there are 3). These should all be similar though, so once I solve this issue, I think it should be smooth sailing.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions. If you need more info, do not hesitate to ask!

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    1) It would be easier to get useful information out of your database structure if you normalized the answer table like this
    Code:
    tblStudents
       StuID   PK   
       Race    Text

tblAnswers
       StuID   FK to tblStudents
       QNbr    Number (1-11)
       QYN     bool Y/N
    Then, you could get breakdowns for each individual question by race or whatever with something like this
    Code:
    SELECT TS.Race, SUM(IIF(TA.QYN,1,0) AS RaceCountY, SUM(IIF(TA.QYN,0,1) AS RaceCountN
    FROM 
       tblStudents AS TS
       INNER JOIN 
       tblAnswers AS TA
       ON TS.StuID = TA.StuID
    WHERE QNbr = 1
    GROUP BY TS.Race;
    2)You can leave off the WHERE clause to get the total of all questions. You can change SUM to AVG to get the average number (ie the percentage) of Yeses and Nos.

3) I don't see sex in your info, so I'm assuming you're dealing with gender-segregated sports of some sort.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.