tyewonk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Sales/POS problem

Okay, so for my tiny business, similar to a consession stand, I was using a POS program called PlexisPOS. Because of some limitations of this software, I wanted to build a POS in Access. I'm using Access 1) so i can learn more about it, 2) I can costumize what I need to, and 3) because of limitaions on my business network, Access is pretty much my only option.

I've got most of what I need done. The only issue I'm having is the transaction screen. I've looked at other templates but still can't find what I need.
    The image below is basically what I would like it to look like. When we scan the UPC, it will be entered in UPC block. The scanner is a keyboard wedge and has ability to "press" enter after scan. When that happens I need it to fill in the info in the blocks below (starting with black blocks), then when a second UPC is scanned it will fill in the second and so on (orange blocks). It would also need to clear UPC block in between each scan and be ready for another scan. I am still fairly new to Access so please be detailed. I asked this before and got answers like: you need a continuous form... Doesn't help much...

Thank You

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	form.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	14027

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Options to retrieve info related to the UPC:

1. make UPC control a multi-column combobox, Item and Cost textboxes reference columns of the combobox

2. include the Products table in the form's RecordSource, bind Item and Cost textboxes to the fields from Products, set them as Locked Yes, TabStop No

3. VBA code

You don't want to 'clear' these controls, instead need to move to a new record row.

Will the cost info for product change over time? If so, need to consider how to prevent existing transactions reflecting a new cost when it is changed for a product. Options:

1. save the cost with each transaction record, this will require code

2. create new record (new UPC?) for the revised cost and set the previous record as 'inactive'
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.