Zippy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Newbee Confusion Question on how to use Access 2013

I'm very confused. I have Office 2013 Pro and need to set up a database for a non-profit org.
    1. Someone told me I can post my database on the web but from everything I've read it sounds like I have to post it to a SharePoint site. Am I correct that this would entail additional costs?
    2. A friend said I can use his server to host the database. Is this possible and can I control permissions thru MS Access? What else do I need to do this?
    3. There will be two people with admin access. A few others would need to view and print reports. What is the best way to publish (if that's the correct term) the database?

Thank you.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't know anything about SharePoint.

Aside from that, you can use Access as a BE on a Webserver. All you need is a Windows environment with IIS. Then you have to create a GUI that the users can view and edit the info on the DB. SharePoint offers solutions for the GUI.

Ultimately, I am not aware of any advantage to using Access on a webserver over SQL server. You will probably be able to create a more "feature rich app" on an Access DB developing a GUI using a program other than Access. You could create something using Visual Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, etc. Newer versions of Access may have options I am not aware of, but I think you are going to run into browser compatibility issues if you want to edit, add, delete from ANY web browser.

If all you want to do is publish static HTML from Access, then no problem. Access can do this and do it well. I have used Access to publish websites for clubs. I could easily update the website with current events. With some research, you may be able to use access to create dynamic web pages (real time dynamic pages) without the ability for the user to edit data. I have not looked into this for quite sometime. I believe the limitations are browser compatibility issues.

Zippy is offline Novice
    ITsMe, thanks for the reply and info. I finally found a MS doc that stated there are four ways to share an Access database, SharePoint, SQL Server, Network drive, or Splitting the database. The first two cost money so that's out and the other two may not be acceptable. As admin, I can keep the data updated but other users need to view the data via various pre-built reports. I just don't know what path to take to be able to do this online and it's sounding like I can't use Access online.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If all you want to do is share the information within Access you can export reports into HTML. No need to place the DB on the webserver. Just host your static pages.

If you want your web pages to connect dynamically, you can look into .ASP. This is where there are limitations. There would need to be a DB residing on the web server. There would need to be a connection to IIS. All of the ASP pages need to understand the connection name. There may be limitations to what certain web browsers can see.

Zippy is offline Novice
    Thanks. I'm guessing I won't go into .ASP and the other methods to post online as I don't have the time to learn it all. I tried a few tests to see what a report or table looks like when saved as an html page as you mentioned and that may be the way I have to go. Not the best solution but would work. Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.