Lizza is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Looking for a simple way to create multiple reports

I am working on a database for a client who requested a dashboard (I think he meant switchboard) to make a database more "user friendly" for his staff. I'm setting up a navigation pane, but I'm wondering what the simplest way is to create all the reports we need to provide. We had large reports that we would filter for various users; now we need to set up the database so the staff can apply those filters.

One option is to create a report for each of the categories. If that's the best way, I'm hoping there's a way to set up a template so the report looks correct and consistent (spacing, page layout, etc.) for each report. Or would a form be a better way to go?

Another option I thought of, although I don't know if it's possible, is to have a macro to filter the reports. I'm picturing having a series of buttons on the navigation pane and a staff member can click on the button to open the report and automatically run a macro to filter out the records for that staff members department.

Hopefully this isn't too cryptic... I'm very new to Access and it's capabilities!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have your program launch a login form at startup. The form does not need to have passwords etc. Often times, I use a combobox that the user can select their name. The combobox then uses a global integer variable to pass it to an unbound textbox on the main menu, or in your case your navigation form.

Now your program can reference the unbound textbox as needed. I believe it is safest to pass the global variable to unbound textboxes. This user ID can reference a table that stores profile info of the various users, ie scanner twains, printers, dept ID, email address, etc.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You shouldn't need multiple reports when all that changes is the criteria. You can use this to open the report:

BaldyWeb wherecondition

Or use a parameter query that references the appropriate value on a form in the criteria.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Lizza is offline Novice
    Thank you for this! My only question is where do I enter the control language? Is it a button?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Not sure which functionality you're referring to, but the answer either way would be "in whatever event you want the process to occur". To open a report, typically a button.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Lizza is offline Novice
    Sorry, I'm struggling with this. We are using the database for real estate, so if for example we might want to filter to only show properties in one town. I'm having trouble understanding the event and where exactly this happens. I tried adding a button to a form but the language didn't work in the Macrobuilder.

Windows XP Access 2007
    What I posted was VBA code:

http://www.baldyweb.com/FirstVBA.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    There is no way to avoid the VBA when using Access.

Maybe you can make a copy of your form and practice with the wizard. The wizard can help you duplicate the code demonstrated in post # 3. Creating a control Button to open a form with specific criteria may illustrate the where condition.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I wouldn't say there was no way to avoid VBA, but it certainly gives you a lot more power and control. By the way, I'm pretty sure the 2010 wizards will create macros, not VBA code.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.