ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003

Early Binding - Previous Office Version from ACCDB

I am considering building two versions of an accdb file so one version can be dedicated to clients that run Office ver. 11. Yet, still do it with early binding.

I suppose I could just leave those client machines with an MDB file but I am making a lot of changes to the program and would like it to look uniform across the platforms. Trying to determine if it is less work to have two accdb versions. I am planning on starting with an empty accdb file and adding to it what I want/need. I suppose an option would be to start with an empty MDB and develop from Access 2010. Then I can edit the references with Access 2003 and distribute an MDB to the clients that have Office 11.

Maybe I am not making sense but I was wondering if anybody has tried referencing Office 11 objects from a machine that has Office 2010 installed. Is there a way to install both office suites so the legacy version will appear as available for a referenced object?

This way, I could possibly early bind the legacy office objects just before distribution of an accdb to the clients with Office 11.

mrojas is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Is inevitable to keep two versions without getting them out of sync. Sooner or later they'll start to take their own identity.

Unless those machines with Access 2003 really do need Access 2003 installed because their users do some data manipulation, I would suggest uninstalling Access 2003 and instead install the Access 2007 runtime version.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
    Is inevitable to keep two versions without getting them out of sync. Sooner or later they'll start to take their own identity.

Unless those machines with Access 2003 really do need Access 2003 installed because their users do some data manipulation, I would suggest uninstalling Access 2003 and instead install the Access 2007 runtime version.
    Do you suppose there will be a conflict running Access 2010 or 2007 RunTime with office 2003 on an XP Pro box?

mrojas is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Not if you uninstall any Access version from each of the computers onto which you'd be installing the runtime.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
    Not if you uninstall any Access version from each of the computers onto which you'd be installing the runtime.
    That is the original plan. Clients don't have any version of Access installed other than RT, currently. So I will go with an uninstall of RT then update to 2010. May consider 2007 for compatibility considerations (Updates, etc.). Some clients do rely on office components. This is why I am considering referenceing certain libraries at the last minute for certain copies of the accdb.

I would have a sacrificial PC that has office 2003 standard and Access 2010 installed. It would only be to adjust the reference libraries in the specific accdb file. Then this sacrificial PC will have served its purpose and off to zerodom. This is what I am considering that is out of the norm.

I do not wish to have clients running with Office 11, Office 12, and Office 14 folders. I will draw the line with Access RT and 2007 file converter.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.