statman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access and PDF

How can one open a template PDF form from a ms access form then update the information in the pdf and save as "new name" back to the form record.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    My understanding is that you would need to convert your template to an XML file from within your Adobe software application first.

Then you can use reports to export into that template. You may be able to create an XML file that is completely autonomous from Adobe first.

Regardless of how you create your template, then you can use acFormatPDF or build an ExportWithForamtting macro. I have yet to try either myself. I am still researching 2010.

I would start by analyzing your template and identifying what tags the template currently uses. I imagine you could use a combo of HTML and XML to create your template in a way it will be compatible to both Access and PDF.

statman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    My understanding is that you would need to convert your template to an XML file from within your Adobe software application first.

Then you can use reports to export into that template. You may be able to create an XML file that is completely autonomous from Adobe first.

Regardless of how you create your template, then you can use acFormatPDF or build an ExportWithForamtting macro. I have yet to try either myself. I am still researching 2010.

I would start by analyzing your template and identifying what tags the template currently uses. I imagine you could use a combo of HTML and XML to create your template in a way it will be compatible to both Access and PDF.
    What I am building is a database for a building department. I am using access as the database to track and query events and data and I am using a android tablet to collect the information in a PDF form. The PDF form utilizes check boxes and other information. The information is stored in a public dropbox so the owner, builder, and my staff can access the information easily without having to send emails and such. My budget is zero for these types of projects so sql server or sharepoint is not an option. I have created an import from the PDF to Access via excel but it is to extensive of a process with to many options for error. I have created a form that has an action button that will open the pdf using a field name. Now I need to figure out how to open the pdf and give it a saved file name of the field or save as when I close the pdf and record it to the record. I am getting closer. I am using a template to open from a action button and then the user saves the file from the name in the field. Just wish I could automate the save as process so they don't misspell the file name. Anyway if there is a better way somebody let me know so my brain can have a rest.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I guess a simple basic question I still have is, "How did you create the form that is filled out?" It sounds as though you used Adobe software to create a PDF that has fields. Usually these forms use some type of Tag to identify the fields.

perhaps I am overcomplicating the issue. My experience with templates is with templates I create. This is how I approach these matters. There may be someone else that can help you with another approach.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.