phinix is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

MS Access - does it make a use of multi core CPUs?

Is 2 core i7 3687U CPU laptop going to be a lot slower than desktop 4 core i5 2400 PC? That 2 core i7 has hyper-threading, would this help? Will I see huge difference in Access tasks performance?

Both - laptop and desktop PC has 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. I need to be more mobile and going to buy Dell 6430u laptop with this 2 core i7 CPU. Stepping down from that desktop i5 - will I see huge decrease in performance? I use it for normal Access tasks - working of 1-2M records databases.

Please advise.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In short, I would answer no. Access probably does not make use of a quad core by itself. Access does have the capability to call on other script that could. I have Access apps that do all sorts of things that interact with other programs. So it really depends.

I would say bigger is better. Modern architecture is very different from 7 years ago when you had North and South bridges and a thread was still just a thread. So saying no to your answer could be wrong, based on how modern architecture behaves.

phinix is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    In short, I would answer no. Access probably does not make use of a quad core by itself. Access does have the capability to call on other script that could. I have Access apps that do all sorts of things that interact with other programs. So it really depends.

I would say bigger is better. Modern architecture is very different from 7 years ago when you had North and South bridges and a thread was still just a thread. So saying no to your answer could be wrong, based on how modern architecture behaves.
    Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that when running some queries there is always one core used by Access process. Other cores (on that desktop i5) are doing other processes.
    I guess at moments where I have opened and running two Access files then two cores will be occupied. On that dual core it may go up to the roof with resources when other processes kick in, like some OS stuff... Unless hyperthreading kicks in at those moments and pick up all other processes?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't typically use performance analyzers. I usually use the hour glass to benchmark. I go for the stability factor verses pushing the edge and overclocking. So my experience is limited. I just over engineer it and call it good.

As for hyperthreading, my understanding is that these are virtual processors that a typical 32 bit system can take advantage of. I believe a 32 bit application can take advantage of hyperthreading. It has been about 8 years since I read up on how and when hyperhtreading is used. I recall some specifics are involved.

Chances are you will end up using the extra horsepower in a better laptop sooner or later. If it is always going to be about querying a large table, I would be looking at the latest gen and most RAM and as much cache you can afford within the CPU. I believe these are things that will help that. In the end, get what you can afford.

Maybe someone who knows more about the latest hardware and how it works can comment. I really don't know enough about it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.