hbograd is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Report based on query shows no data

I have created a query and designed a report based on the query in Access 2003, and it was working fine. Fortunately, I exported the results that I needed for today into an rtf file, so I don't have an emergency.

I'm not sure what I changed, but the next time I opened the report, no data appeared - it just shows a few labels that were part of the report format.

I can still see all the data when I view the query in datasheet format.

I tried changing the data source under report properties to use a different query, and then the report works fine. But when go back to using the query that I want to use as a data source, I get no data in the report.

The query I am using is based on external data in Excel files located on another computer on the network.

Before I started having problems, I got a message saying the report had been set up for a different printer, and was it OK to use a certain printer. The laptop I am using for Access is not currently set up with a working printer driver. Could that be relevant?

Thanks.

Harriet

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    As strange as it sounds, not having a printer driver is likely to be your problem.

I would recommend installing a printer (if you have any) on that computer or using one of the many free "PDF printer" programs (I would recommend using CutePDF Writer) and see if that fixes the problem.

hbograd is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    I had guessed that might be the problem, and I did set cutePDF as my default printer on that computer, and I did go in and check that page setup for that report said it was using the default printer, and the data still didn't appear.

Then I went back to page setup for the report and told it to use a specific printer, and chose cutePDF, and the data still doesn't appear.

I have been able to work around it by re-creating the report from another similar one. I had to edit it a bit, but the similar one does still seems to show the data, using the same query, and with CutePDF set as the default printer.

So, I no longer need to solve this, but it does mystify me!

Thanks for your help.

Harriet

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.