quicova is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Open Forms without access background, ribbon, navtab, etc.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how or where I can get some info on how to open the forms without access background, ribbon, navigation tab etc.

Basically how to finish the database to be used by other users so that they can't access or change anything.
    They can just use the forms as I designed.

I created a username log in, it would be awesome if I log in as admin it would open normally with all the options, but any other user just gets the forms.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I have been looking everywhere for this and can't find anything.

Thanks so much

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You may be able to get what you are after by having your program open in Access RunTime. IMO any application built using Access should be built with the goal of it being used in RT.

dargo72 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I have the same question as above. What if you don't have the option to use runtime?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dargo72 View Post
    I have the same question as above. What if you don't have the option to use runtime?
    I believe RT is a free download starting with Access 2007. The only reason it wouldn't be an option is if you do not use forms exclusively to interface with your data tables.

So you can build the forms necessary. Copy your forms, related queries, reports, modules, and macros into a blank DB. Link the necessary tables from your new DB to your original DB. Distribute your new DB to a user as a Front End Data Base and create a shortcut that executes RT on their desktop to open the FE.

Easier said than done because there are a lot of rules. But those are the basics.

quicova is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    So the only way for users to only see the forms is to use runtime?
    that doesn't seem right.
    There as to be a way to give access to some user and restrict access to other parts of the database to other user.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by quicova View Post
    that doesn't seem right.
    There as to be a way to give access to some user and restrict access to other parts of the database to other user.
    No. It is not the only way. My comment in post # 2 is a concise response to your post #1.

To accomplish your desired results you need to go through a long process of various steps. The first of which is to design your DB to be ABLE to function in an RT environment. The next step would be to adjust your Startup settings by creating an autoexec macro.

At startup, Access will launch this macro and do what you programmed the macro to do. In the Startup settings you can tell it to open a specific form, hide the design interface, whatever.

After you get all of that accomplished you need to secure the database. This will give you the capability to log in to your DB with specific privileges.

Once you have completed all the necessary steps to accomplish your needs outlined in post #1, your data base will work in an RT environment as well as open from a client with a full version of Access installed.

BleedsOrange is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by quicova View Post
    that doesn't seem right.
    Not a complete answer but I think this VBA code will hide the "Ribbon":

DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo

To get rid of the navigation pane you can open the database and then go to:

File menu
    Options
    Current Database
    Then uncheck "Display Navigation Pane"

As far as I know, using this method you can't make the navigatione appear or not appear based on who the user is. The ribbone displaying is different since you can trigger the code to hide it depending on who the user is.

You may also wish to hide the form tabs. You do that in the same spot.

File menu
    Options
    Current Database
    Look under document window options and uncheck the box "Display Document Tabs".

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Bing: Access VBA hide application window
    http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=2562

Be aware that holding the shift key while opening db will override project settings and bypass autoexec macro. This is so that you (developer) can gain access to the design tools.

There are ways to disable the shift key and enforce a password for design mode access.

Review:

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...-a-327136.html

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...at-303789.html

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tc-324677.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Good info there June7.

After taking all that in I created a new "Admin" database that I can use to "Enable/Disable" the hold shift key method on any other database I choose.

So I hide the Ribbon, Navigation Pane, and Tabs like before but now I also disable the holding Shift key method to prevent a user from looking at the front-end coding/tables (unless they are really knowledgable about Access DB Coding which is not an issue for me). I'm debating whether to add a password to the VBA code but seems overkill for my purposes.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.