jptros is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Access 2007, 2010, 2013 Ribbon; Adding forms/reports/etc as buttons

In Access versions prior to 2007 you could create a toolbar and drag database objects to it, such as forms, reports, queries, etc. I'd like to create a ribbon tab with buttons for forms and reports as described above. The built-in ribbon customization doesn't seem to allow this at all. Is it possible? What are you guys doing as an alternative to toolbars in these newer versions of access? I'm working with Access 2013 at the moment however I assume things are the same for 2007 and 2010.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Inquiring minds want to know. I am looking into this too. A large part of my 2003 DB depends on this to restrict the user's capability of running amok.

jptros is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    The best I've been able to do so far is create macros that open the forms and add those to a custom ribbon tab. This works OK but you can't change the icon as far as I can tell. I've seen a lot of stuff where people are writing XML defining buttons and event handlers. I supposed if this is the only way forward, OK, but it seems like a step backwards from the ease of customization in 2002/2003.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I am going to start in the Client Settings area this weekend and see what the hurdles are. I was hoping the customize ribbon category would offer options but.....

Thanks for posting. If I find anything of relevance I will post up here.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I also have been trying to modify the ribbon. I found a few references of modifying the ribbon: there are a couple of helper programs available.
    Found out the A2007 ribbon is a little different from the A2010/2013 ribbon.

I built an Excel workbook with a custom toolbar (in A2003) that no longer works because the company "downgraded" to Office 2010. I really hate the ribbon.. but that issue has been beat to death. I am learning to live with A2010 (but not liking it).

Best thing I did was finally buying the book "RibbonX". There are examples if modifying the ribbons for Excel, Access and Word.
    I paid about $50 with shipping... but well worth it. This is a complex subject. I am still studying.... so far reading "RibbonX" for the 5th time.

As a bonus, it also helps me fall asleep!!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Bottom line, you can import custom toolbars to an .accdb from a 2003 .MBD file. You can associate the custom toolbar name to newly created forms in the .accdb file.

Disclaimer: I accomplished the following using updated W7 Pro 64 bit and Office Pro 2010 32 bit. Windows OPK is installed for OS and Office. Most all office components are installed and run off of the HDD or SSD or whatever. The .MDB file was created with XP Pro and Office Pro 2003 on an X86 machine.

The skinny:
    Custom Toolbar, Menubar, and Popup AKA Shortcut Menus from earlier versions of Access are backward compatible with newer versions of Access.

What I did:
    Using Access 2003, I created a DB with a form that had all three custom toolbar types. I then created a blank DB using Access 2010 in .accdb 2007 format.

Using the “Import Access Data Base” control under the standard “External Data” tab within the ribbon, launch the Import/Link wizard. Browse to your .MBD file, tick the radio button to import tables, etc. Click OK.

When you get to the all familiar “Import Objects” window, click on the “Options” button. In the “Import” region of options there is a check box for “Menus and Toolbars”. You want to tick that option.

Side Notes:
    After the importing is complete, that new .accdb file will have the custom toolbars in the “Add-Ins” tab of the ribbon and or the mouse shortcut menu after and or when you open the form. I say it that way because the shortcut menu will appear with the form open and the other toolbars will remain with the .accdb file in the “Add-Ins” tab after the form is closed or even deleted.

I am not sure how this will look in a runtime environment but the results look promising. Deleting the form with the custom toolbars had no effect on the “Add-Ins” tab. It seems the macro is now with the new file. It did not show in other .accdb files. If there is a way to disable/customize the ribbons runtime environments I will be most happy.

I spent a little bit of time creating an autoexec macro. I played around with the settings a little. Two of the three custom menu types appeared as options to use. So I don’t know. I still need to learn all of the options for the newer versions of the startup Features. I also need to study the custom ribbon options. So if anybody has any insight to this….

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.