sfindley is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Multiple combo/list boxes - sort based on entries

I am very new to Access so I apologize if this is already covered in this forum. I have tried looking for it, but am not even sure how to describe it to search.

I am trying to put together a form where employees will be entering maintenance information into my database. One of the requirements for this data is that when they perform repair work on an asset, they have to list a problem, cause and remedy. These are codes that are specific to each asset.

The closest thing I can think of to what I am trying to acheive is the selectors on car search websites. You select a MAKE, and then the MODEL list is narrowed down based on that, then you pick the TRIM, which is narrowed down based on the model selection. I have an Excel spreadsheet of the Assets(Failure Class), Problems, Causes, and Remedies...I'm just not sure how to put this into Access to get the desired output. I have attached a sample of the Excel spreadsheet for illustration.

Could someone help me find a thread of point me in the right direction with this...I believe I'm going to have to put each of the columns in a seperate table and use relationships..but I'm not sure about that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like dependent (cascading) combo and list boxes. Review: http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...combobox2.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sfindley is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    That was exactly what I was looking for. I also searched "cascading combo box" in the forum and found this thread which also has good info.

https://www.accessforums.net/access/...xes-11953.html

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.