Mary97 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Access 97 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1?

My Access 97 data base was running fine on Windows XP until a hard drive crash. I hope to get the recovered db up on a new computer. The data base was created by an expert who warned that it might not work if moved to a newer version of Access. The db includes long memo fields, and very complex reports. My present use of the data base is viewing existing records, adding new records, and doing simple queries; I no longer need to generate the complex reports. (The data base was used to create the text for a scholarly book published in 2007; now we refer to the data for occasional questions and to store new related items.)

My computer store sales guy suggested I could run Access 97 on Windows 8 in 32-bit mode (although at this point I'm inclined to wait for Windows 8.1). As a naive end-user, I would be grateful for guidance, and apologize if this type of question is inappropriate for your forum. Would Windows 7 be a better choice?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You may be able to get it to work in XP mode. Some versions of Windows allow legacy programs to work. I don't really have any experience with this beyond initiating XP mode in W7 pro.

Basically, it launches a different desktop. The desktop looks like Windows XP. In it you can install programs that prefer to run in an XP environment. When you want to run your legacy application, you launch XP mode and the XP desktop appears. I believe you can create shortcuts directly to the legacy application from the newer Window's OS version, ie Windows 7 Pro desktop.

After everything is set up, it is relatively seamless to switch between modes. It is far more convenient then say, running Mac OS X and trying to launch a legacy app that was only available in Mac OS 9.x, such as a simple math calculator.

A small, neighborhood, computer shop may be able to help you set up Access as a legacy app on a newer Windows OS. Depending on how your Access application was developed, you may need to produce a valid copy of Office Access 97 or 2000 or 2002 - 2003. If your application was not packaged as an executable containing the necessary runtime files you will need to have these files installed via a licensed copy of Access in order for your application to run. Or just install the full Access application.

The other option would be to have a developer update your application to access 2007 or 2010 or 2013. I believe starting with 2007 the runtime development tools are free to download. This would provide most any developer a way to package the app in an upgraded version and supply it to you. There would not be any need to purchase Office Access to operate your custom, upgraded, version.

Just some food for thought using my perspective.

Mary97 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Hi ItsMe,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Given that we use the data base only occasionally, trying XP mode sounds like the sensible first step, so that I can be sure that the recovered db is intact. Your comments make me see that I do need some expert assistance. Again, hearty thanks.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Let us know if you have more questions later. There are some very hopeful folks on this forum. At least use this thread as a means of getting a second opinion.

Mary97 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Thanks. I realize that I forgot to mention that my Access version is from Window Office 97 Pro. ItsMe, does this affect your original answer?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I am not familiar with backwards compatibility with XP vs. 97 Pro.

I feel rather confident that W7 Pro will be able to install and run Office 97 pro with a valid product Key using the XP desktop. I have not tried it. Everything I understand about it indicates this should work.

What I have not researched is what Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 has to offer. Also, I believe W7 home or student does not offer the XP desktop.

Hope this helps. I don't have a deep knowledge of this.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You may wish to review the link in this thread re: Win8 and earlier versions of Office.

https://www.accessforums.net/access/...tml#post191226

Also remember that Access 97 is no longer supported so that if you run into issues with an install or running the programs, MS will not be able to help or offer any guidance.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.