Lulu is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

I need help with Prefilling and auto filling fields in an access form

I'm building an Access database for a QC department. While entering data on each inspection some of the fields will stay the same for about 200 entries. How do I make the info in certain fields stay from form to form? Also, how to change the info when they start on a new product? I'd also be interested in figuring out how to once I select lets say a part number from a drop down menu make the next field "product description" auto fill?

I am in desperate need of guidance. I am a novice and although I have experience with working in access I have never built a database. I am just learning most of the terms used in Access.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If the information stays the same for about 200 entries, it is possible you don't have data structure sufficiently normalized and/or need a form/subform arrangement.

One way to carry forward a value to next record is to set the DefaultValue property of the control. Review http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0012.htm

You should not be saving the product description, only the product ID.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Are the 200 fields Yes/No or True/False answers?

You can build a form with many (200) questions and place a check box or radio button on the form to answer yes or no. Your 200 radio buttons can be bound to a table that logs quality control inspections. At the table you can set the default value as False, there is not a problem.

This is not a full description to the solution. It is a question to determine how feasible your approach may be.

Lulu is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I figured that default values is what I wanted. Using the code provided the data entry clerk will be able to change the field when need be without any issues? also what do you mean by I should not be saving the product description, only the product ID?

Lulu is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Unfortunately no they are not yes/ no answers. It is a database that stores information on each pcs inspected. some examples are date inspected, part number, part description, invoice number, serial number, non conformance issues, restock classification. It is quite a bit of information required on each part. But many of the fields will stay the same from entry to entry in any given inspection. i.e. Part number, description Date (I've got this one done already) invoice # etc. Really only the serial number and non conformance and inspector names will change per inspection lot.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You said when part number is selected from dropdown to fill a textbox with a description. Description of the part? The combobox is bound to a field and this saves the part number? What does user see in the combobox dropdown - only part number?

Setting the DefaultValue property will not prevent user changing the value, it only populates a new record as an aid to data entry.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post

...Using the code provided the data entry clerk will be able to change the field when need be without any issues...
    As June7 said, the user can change this at any time; it might help to think of the Default Value as a 'suggestion.' Once data is physically entered into the Control/Field the Default Value remains the same until the user:

• Edits the Control
    • Closes the Form
    • Closes Access itself

If the user gets tired after entering, say, 100 Records, and decides to go to lunch, closing the Form and/or Access, upon returning the Value will need to be re-entered to start the process again.
    Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.