aselm01 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

data comparison query help

I need to compare multiple values against a set of criteria and return a Pass or Fail. I need to do this whether I have just 1, 2, 3 or all 4 values. If any 1 value being compared does not meet the criteria then all being compared fail. The only Pass condition will be if all values being compared are good.

I thought I could do it like I have below in a query, but I am running into a problem with Access. It keeps putting a [ ] around the fail in the case of a comparison between two and around the Pass, Fail, Fail, Fail for the multiple comparison.

Result_Value_1: IIf([Value_A] Between 0.22 And 0.3, IIF([Value_B] Between 0.22 And 0.3,"Pass","Fail"),“[Fail]”)

Result_Value_2: IIf([Value_A] Between 0.22 And 0.3, IIF([Value_B] Between 0.22 And 0.3, IIF([Value_C] Between 0.22 And 0.3,”[Pass]”,"[Fail]"),“[Fail]”),”[Fail]”)

This is a picture from the query that shows Access putting the brackets in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qry1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	13731

So when you run the query it asks for a value for each. I just click OK without putting anything in and it works, I think. So it must be something simple that I am missing or don’t know about.

I am new to Access and don’t know much about VBA or anything like that, but I am willing to try.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am surprised Access just doesn't choke on the expressions because they are missing paren(s) at the end but apparently Access 2013 is trying to 'fix' the error by assuming you want a field as the alternate value for the outer IIf.

Keep this in mind: for every IIf in the nesting, need a paren at the end.

Clarify the rule: If any one value is not between the given range, then Fail, otherwise Pass?

Consider:
    IIf([Value_A] Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND [Value_B] Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND [Value_C] Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND [Value_D] Between 0.22 And 0.3,"Pass","Fail")
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I am surprised Access just doesn't choke on the expressions because they are missing paren(s) at the end but apparently Access 2013 is trying to 'fix' the error by assuming you want a field as the alternate value for the outer IIf.

Keep this in mind: for every IIf in the nesting, need a paren at the end.
    Hi June7!

What missing parenthesis? They are all there as far as I can tell. The example below has 2 opening and 2 closing.

Result Value1: IIf([Dither_Pin_30_U3] Between 0.22 And 0.3,IIf([Dither_Pin_30_U6] Between 0.22 And 0.3,"Pass","Fail"),[“Fail”])

Please provide an example if you can, but the real question is am I doing it right or not?

June7 is online now VIP
    I hope you didn't read the bad post I deleted and replaced with this one.

Sorry, here is example of what I had in mind.

FSV = IIf(dblFine02 < 4, "NFS", IIf(dblFine02 < 10, "F1", IIf(dblFine02 < 21, "F2", "F3")))

On second look, yours should work but did you consider the alternate expression I suggested?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I hope you didn't read the bad post I deleted and replaced with this one.

Sorry, here is example of what I had in mind.

FSV = IIf(dblFine02 < 4, "NFS", IIf(dblFine02 < 10, "F1", IIf(dblFine02 < 21, "F2", "F3")))

On second look, yours should work but did you consider the alternate expression I suggested?
    I tried your first suggestion and it works if you have all 4 vaules, but not if any one is blank.

I don't quite understand this suggestion though...

I get that you are evaluating dblFine02, but don't understand the "NFS" part and what is the F1, F2, F3 part? Are they the fields I would want to compare?

June7 is online now VIP
    That's a line directly out of my code. Didn't really intend you to try and adapt, just showing where my orientation came from. No, those are literal values.

If there is no value (meaning null), the result should be Fail?

You could try Nz:

If(Nz([Value_A],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND Nz([Value_B],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND Nz([Value_C],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND Nz([Value_D],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3,"Pass","Fail")

Windows 8 Access 2013
    That's a line directly out of my code. Didn't really intend you to try and adapt, just showing where my orientation came from. No, those are literal values.

If there is no value (meaning null), the result should be Fail?

You could try Nz:

If(Nz([Value_A],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND Nz([Value_B],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND Nz([Value_C],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3 AND Nz([Value_D],0) Between 0.22 And 0.3,"Pass","Fail")
    June7,

If a value is null or blank, but you have other values to compare and they all meet the criteria then it should return a Pass. The spreadsheet I am trying to copy in access has 4 fields that are all compared against the same criteria, but you don't always have 4 values. You could have just 1, 2, 3, or all 4. So if I have only 1 then it needs to be evaluated and a pass or fail returned. If I have 2 values then they both have to be evaluated and then if they both pass then the return would be a Pass. If not then the return would be a Fail and so on.

I tried this and it returned a Fail when values were blank.

June7 is online now VIP
    Seems Null would be an issue in your original expression as well.

If all values are null, should return null?

Calculate four fields, here is the first one:

F1: IIf(IsNull([Value_A]), Null, IIf([Value_A] Between 0.22 And 0.3, "P", "F"))

Calculate a fifth field:

PF: IIf(IsNull(F1 & F2 & F3 & F4), Null, IIf(Not F1 & F2 & F3 & F4 Like "*F*", "Pass", "Fail"))

Aside from a custom VBA function, that's the only way I can see to handle null.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Seems Null would be an issue in your original expression as well.

If all values are null, should return null?

Calculate four fields, here is the first one:

F1: IIf(IsNull([Value_A]), Null, IIf([Value_A] Between 0.22 And 0.3, "P", "F"))

Calculate a fifth field:

PF: IIf(IsNull(F1 & F2 & F3 & F4), Null, IIf(Not F1 & F2 & F3 & F4 Like "*F*", "Pass", "Fail"))

Aside from a custom VBA function, that's the only way I can see to handle null.
    So would I just be substituting my field names in for F1, F2, etc? What about "*F*"? What about the brackets around the values? Are they not needed here?

If you can suggest the VBA code I am game. This seems a bit more complicated than what Access will let you do. Or if it will let you do it it seems very drawn out and painful.

June7 is online now VIP
    If you use something other than F1, F2, F3, F4 to name the constructed fields, yes, use those. Brackets around the field names, I just forget to type them. The "*F*" exactly as shown, it's the conditional criteria.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have not had time to try this yet. I will give it a shot maybe this weekend and post my findings. Thanks for all of your help so far. You have been a great help in this project.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.